Being offered my first ADR job for next week (cancelled)

I’ve just got a text from one of my agencies saying that they got an ADR (presumably packages) job lined up for me next Monday (I’m actually quite surprised, given my limited experience, so they must be desperate for an ADR driver.)

Since this will be my first job carrying dangerous goods, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? I already know that the truck that I will be driving should be checked over for fire extinguishers, spill kit, torch, etc. I’ve got my handbook from my course kept in a safe place, so I will be taking it with me on Monday.

Hard to say without knowing what you’ll be carrying but check it’s loaded according to ADR regs, make sure the relevant placards and Hazchem boards are in place. Make sure you have all relevant paperwork, instructions in writing, bill of laden etc. Know what tunnels you can or cannot go through (Dartford tunnel - go to the RVP and they’ll either wave you back out to go through the tunnel or open the barrier to wait for an ■■■■■■).

If anything should go wrong ie a spill, then call 999 first, then your DGSA. As long as you call the emergency services first you’re covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume…

You’ll be earning extra money for all the ADR shenanigans?

yourhavingalarf:
I assume…

You’ll be earning extra money for all the ADR shenanigans?

More and more places just presuming you’ll do it for the same money these days.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Suspect it’ll be either pallet network multidrop or someone like SRCL who collect waste from medical places.

Nothing to worry about although try not to puncture any barrels esp those with corrosive or toxic on them. :slight_smile: Actually they are amazingly tough as had numerous go over and non bust. Forkies put them through their limits.

Any decent company will have a list of stuff you need depending what you carry a d likely a ticksheet. Ours have quite a lot in a bag and under seat, but medical lot had a bottle of bleech and gloves (yep that was the kit!). Its in their interest to make sure you got the right bits. Also do check fire extinguisher sizes, dates and that they in the green band.

Also remember things like washing powder and fabric conditioner can be ADR.

Do remember to carry the ADR card with you, very important. Plus instructions in writing and paperwork for all ADR contents.

Beyond that, treat it like amy other job.

Found out today, whilst waiting at Ely for a train to King’s Lynn,that the agency cocked-up :imp: :unamused: . The job was ACTUALLY for a C+E driver!

Thats easy, just write “+E” on the back of your licence next to the C bit and no one will notice. :slight_smile: Amazing how agencies can get the little details that wrong.

Lee1976:
Hard to say without knowing what you’ll be carrying but check it’s loaded according to ADR regs, make sure the relevant placards and Hazchem boards are in place. Make sure you have all relevant paperwork, instructions in writing, bill of laden etc. Know what tunnels you can or cannot go through (Dartford tunnel - go to the RVP and they’ll either wave you back out to go through the tunnel or open the barrier to wait for an ■■■■■■).

If anything should go wrong ie a spill, then call 999 first, then your DGSA. As long as you call the emergency services first you’re covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call 999,and run as fast as you can