Genuine questions for a new pass doing agency?

My post on the ‘adult’ part of the forum has not gone down well. Basically, I’ve blagged my experience a bit and tomorrow morning very early I have my first shift as an agency driver.

So far I’ve done everything wrong. I didn’t check how I was going to paid and I keep getting calls from a umbrella company. The start of my driving career is more of a nightmare.

So if I could ask a few ‘silly’ questions that might help other new passes on their first shift as well as me tomorrow:

1. If a load is strapped down as the driver do you have to unstrap it?

2. When I turn up do a drop to I just walk into whatever business it is? Or do I call them and wait outside?

3. When I turn up at the company is there anything I should ask? I don’t want to come across as daft. But I’d quite like a number for the office. And what’s the procedure for fuel cards? These are things people in the know might be more aware off.

4. My satnav allows me to input the dimensions and weights of the truck - are all these on the plate? I know that this sounds daft but I worry about heights and how I check the height of the truck Asterisk because I really should know that.

5. When I get to the company what sort of questiosn will they ask me? This is a reasonably large company… Many millions of turnover. I can’t imagine they will just throw me the keys.

If anyone can answer those questions I’m happy to bung £10 to a charity of your choice. This isn’t a windup and I really could do with a little help.

sammym:
My post on the ‘adult’ part of the forum has not gone down well. Basically, I’ve blagged my experience a bit and tomorrow morning very early I have my first shift as an agency driver.

So far I’ve done everything wrong. I didn’t check how I was going to paid and I keep getting calls from a umbrella company. The start of my driving career is more of a nightmare.

So if I could ask a few ‘silly’ questions that might help other new passes on their first shift as well as me tomorrow:

1. If a load is strapped down as the driver do you have to unstrap it?

2. When I turn up do a drop to I just walk into whatever business it is? Or do I call them and wait outside?

3. When I turn up at the company is there anything I should ask? I don’t want to come across as daft. But I’d quite like a number for the office. And what’s the procedure for fuel cards? These are things people in the know might be more aware off.

4. My satnav allows me to input the dimensions and weights of the truck - are all these on the plate? I know that this sounds daft but I worry about heights and how I check the height of the truck Asterisk because I really should know that.

5. When I get to the company what sort of questiosn will they ask me? This is a reasonably large company… Many millions of turnover. I can’t imagine they will just throw me the keys.

If anyone can answer those questions I’m happy to bung £10 to a charity of your choice. This isn’t a windup and I really could do with a little help.

1. You don’t have to unstrap it, but you should check that it’s strapped to your satisfaction. If the load comes off, it’s no good saying to plod that you picked it up and it’s not your fault.

2. Walk in, usually it’s signposted deliveries round the back or some such.

3. They should give you fuel cards, some variant of a running sheet telling you what order to deliver/collect in, presuming it isn’t one drop. At no point deviate from the running sheet even if it would save 30 miles, there’ll be a reason it’s number 6 on the running sheet and not number 2.

4. Usually there’s a height indicator in the cab, if in doubt ASK. This applies to everything. The embarrassment you feel at asking a numpty question will be nothing compared to the embarrassment you will feel should you feature on a traffic bulletin on radio 2.

5. Dunno. Small company, don’t use agency.

Let us know how it went.

Height has to be displayed somewhere obvious in the cab by law I think.

I’ve found at factory type sites usually security on gatehouse or intercom will tell you where to go. Sainsbury’s daventry even gave me a site map. Invaluable for me as my drop point for the canteen is never the same as the bays for the actual work of the warehouse.

You don’t say what you’re delivering. I do restaurants, schools and small business as well as huge warehouse/factory places. At the former I just wonder in and ask and tbh ignore staff only or no entry signs. You get a nose for finding the likely drop point to.

Always check the load. As Albion said you need to be satisfied it’s secure because if it ain’t and it goes ■■■■ up. It’s your head on the block.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

I’ve found at factory type sites usually security on gatehouse or intercom will tell you where to go. Sainsbury’s daventry even gave me a site map. Invaluable for me as my drop point for the canteen is never the same as the bays for the actual work of the warehouse.

You don’t say what you’re delivering. I do restaurants, schools and small business as well as huge warehouse/factory places. At the former I just wonder in and ask and tbh ignore staff only or no entry signs. You get a nose for finding the likely drop point to.

Always check the load. As Albion said you need to be satisfied it’s secure because if it ain’t and it goes ■■■■ up. It’s your head on the block.

I’d rather not say publically. With it being my first job. But it’s local to both of us.

Cheers for the advice.

First thing is make sure you’re being paid PAYE if that’s what you want. Refuse to go until you have that sorted.

1.If it’s strapped when you arrive at the depot there’s no need to unstrap it. Just look at it and make sure you’re satisfied. Fines are available if it’s insecure. When you arrive at a delivery yes you unstrap it and point it out to the forklift driver. You tell him what to take.
2. If there is space in the yard head straight in. There’s usually signs saying “goods in” or something similar. If they complain just tell them you’re sorry you haven’t been before.
3. Ask for the number of the office and ask about fuel cards these aren’t stupid questions. You may find the company actually use agency drivers regularly and they may hand you a pack with every conceivable piece of info you will need.
4. There will be a height indicator in the cab. There has to be one there legally. Use your head and have a look and see if you agree with what it says in comparison to the vehicle. The indicator can be changed by anyone and there’s nothing saying it’s definitely accurate.
5. Because you’ve claimed you’re experienced the company may very well just toss you the keys and a run sheet and tell you to crack on.

Don’t worry about getting every drop done. Take stuff back if necessary. Make sure you leave enough time to get back to the yard. Don’t run yourself ragged doing 14 hours and then realise you’re 2 hours from the yard.

Looking at the post on the main board…you unstrap when you get to your delivery point usually.

As for I can drive, I’ve passed my test. Correct on the second half, but no you can’t really drive, that’ll come with years of experience. All those drivers out there doing daft stuff, they can drive, they passed their test…

Good luck!

sammym:

IronEddie:

I’d rather not say publically. With it being my first job. But it’s local to both of us.

Cheers for the advice.

Fair enough. Good luck. Likely btw when you turn up they’ll make you do an induction and assesment drive. My lot do, no agency drive is let loose without doing that first.

Most agency use umbrella companies these days

If the load is strapped make sure you happy with it but when you get to customers you will have to unstrap it

Yes they may well just give you keys & run sheets POD ( delivery notes )

Most goods in are sign posted some places have security they will tell you some do give out maps

Fuel cards are easy when go onto pump you will have to hand card in then fuel up back in normally ask for millage ( km’s) then a pin bit like your credit/debit card ( hole in wall card ) the company should give you this before you leave

They normally give you an office contact number just in case they may have an agency pack that they give you

There should be a hight marker in the cab if not go back into office to let them know

Stop worrying go try to enjoy

Let us know how it went. [emoji106]

IronEddie:
Let us know how it went. [emoji106]

Have a look on the main forum :open_mouth:

Oh. Perhaps stick to PhDing then, probably easier :smiley:

albion:

Is there really any need for that?

I’d love to be perfect. But I did mess up. However, I still got all my loads delivered. And was good enough to be asked back tomorrow at 6.30.

Anyone who is on this part of the forum is a newbie… So my only advice after today is: check, check, check and check some more. And if there is stuff in the way on a bay tell them to move it rather than making life even harder for yourself. It’s better to upset the warehouse staff - and look like a fool taking 15 mins to get on a bay than filling out accident paperwork. I am shocking at reversing. And when I get out and check even I can do it… The guys who do it and make it look easy have been doing it for a long time.

Oh… and buy a clipboard. Your paperwork is going to be a nighmare. For each drop you will have 3/4 different forms to fill in.

If you have a choice between a Renault (which I learned on at PSTT) and a Volvo - pick the Renault. Nearly identical. Same gearbox and everything. But the volvo has the handbrake in the ridiculous position the world ever knew. It’s actually behind you.

Most people in real life will happily help you. No one I asked for help today said no or minded at all. People will go out of there way to help if you are respectful and ask nicely. So ask all the time if you are unsure.

Finally - don’t let anyone on here tell you that there is no work. I got offered a job nearly straight after signing up (hours after). And even though I made a complete mess I was offered work for the next day. So there is work, and it doesn’t require experience. But you will be doing a lot of learning real quick.

PS - the satnav will take you to where the cars and customers are meant to go. Unless it’s an RDC you are meant to go elsewhere. Use streetview and google earth to find this place. It’s not nice going in somewhere that isn’t designed for trucks and having to try and turn around or reverse out. It’s something you won’t think about until your first job unless you have worked in warehouses.

sammym:

albion:

I’d love to be perfect. But I did mess up. However, I still got all my loads delivered. And was good enough to be asked back tomorrow at 6.30.

Anyone who is on this part of the forum is a newbie… So my only advice after today is: check, check, check and check some more. And if there is stuff in the way on a bay tell them to move it rather than making life even harder for yourself. It’s better to upset the warehouse staff - and look like a fool taking 15 mins to get on a bay than filling out accident paperwork. I am shocking at reversing. And when I get out and check even I can do it… The guys who do it and make it look easy have been doing it for a long time.

Oh… and buy a clipboard. Your paperwork is going to be a nighmare. For each drop you will have 3/4 different forms to fill in.

If you have a choice between a Renault (which I learned on at PSTT) and a Volvo - pick the Renault. Nearly identical. Same gearbox and everything. But the volvo has the handbrake in the ridiculous position the world ever knew. It’s actually behind you.

Most people in real life will happily help you. No one I asked for help today said no or minded at all. People will go out of there way to help if you are respectful and ask nicely. So ask all the time if you are unsure.

Finally - don’t let anyone on here tell you that there is no work. I got offered a job nearly straight after signing up (hours after). And even though I made a complete mess I was offered work for the next day. So there is work, and it doesn’t require experience. But you will be doing a lot of learning real quick.

PS - the satnav will take you to where the cars and customers are meant to go. Unless it’s an RDC you are meant to go elsewhere. Use streetview and google earth to find this place. It’s not nice going in somewhere that isn’t designed for trucks and having to try and turn around or reverse out. It’s something you won’t think about until your first job unless you have worked in warehouses.

Not just newby’s on the newby forum, plenty of experienced folk, transport managers, trainers and company owners on giving out advice.

Renault or Volvo … Volvo everytime.

I keep meaning to buy a clipboard.

Often my sat nav takes me as far as the street my drop is on. That’s it. Google maps is very handy. Though you get better at sniffing out where the right entrance is. I have in the short time I’ve been driving. A couple of months in and new drops don’t worry me like they initially did.

Trucking has restored some faith in humanity. I’ve met very few ■■■■■■■■■ and many helpful people.

sammym:

The Volvo hand break is not behind you at all it is on the dash the MAN hand break is on the floor behind you ( or it is for me ) as I didn’t learn in a Renault or a Volvo I would still go for the Volvo every time

animal:

sammym:

The Volvo hand break is not behind you at all it is on the dash the MAN hand break is on the floor behind you ( or it is for me ) as I didn’t learn in a Renault or a Volvo I would still go for the Volvo every time

Okay. Some Volvos have the handbrake behind the drivers seat. Otherwise they are very very similar to Renaults.

I know this because today I drove a 67 plate nearly brand new Volvo. Which has the same transmission and cab features as the Renault I learned in. The major difference was that the Volvo has a bed in it which I’m sure you will see in renaults as well. The Renault I learned in had handbrake on dash.

Volvo has same handbrake but it was positioned about 10 inches behind the drivers seat. It’s a poor design. I can’t see if handbrake is on - and it encourages people not to use it. Other volvos may be different - I only have two trucks to compare.

sammym:

albion:

I was the first one to answer on this thread with answers to your questions.

You are the one who said PhD was your main job and this job was hard and at one point this,was going to be your last shift.

IronEddie:
I keep meaning to buy a clipboard.

Often my sat nav takes me as far as the street my drop is on. That’s it. Google maps is very handy. Though you get better at sniffing out where the right entrance is. I have in the short time I’ve been driving. A couple of months in and new drops don’t worry me like they initially did.

Trucking has restored some faith in humanity. I’ve met very few [zb] and many helpful people.

Don’t bother with a clipboard. I’ve got one to keep organised but I’ve not taken it out my bag for years :laughing:

Did you work today? Trust me, it gets better. It’s quite normal to have a nightmare at the start. What’s hard is only hard because you don’t know any better, that’s why they expected you to hit the ground running. I’m all for blagging experience to get a start, but you need the basics, even if that only involves watching a few YouTube videos. And never claim to have driven tautliners, keep it simple, say you only have driven boxes, you can’t go far wrong with those.

Yeah im at work now. Shunting stuff between sertec and labdrover plant in brum. It’s good reverse and narrow space driving training.

Most people are sound. Lad in office says get my head down and He will wake me if needed.

Most people in haulage are alright, and there is plenty of work about. Anyone in West Midlands who is a new pass message me and I’ll pass on an agency that will keep you busy!