Off days

Anyone have them? Like where you seemingly fudge the easiest reverses? Had one Friday and it’s on a tight bay but there was two free bays either side where usually they’re all full. Got on there in the end but it wasn’t pretty. ■■■■ knows what happened. Naturally people watching aswell :laughing:

Anyone that says they don’t have any off days is lying. Fact. End of. Thank you and good night.

Oh yes. Particularly when there’s more than one bay. Give me a single bay every day. I can nail a single bay, in one, but give me two or three bays and I’ll end up in the middle off two of them
Lives a ■■■■■ :grimacing: i :grimacing:

Whenever possible (when it’s quiet and there’s no-one around), I try to practice my blindside reversing…which I
have to admit is a weakness.

The other night, the depot was quiet and I decided to blindside a trailer into a tight slot. There was plenty of room
to manoeuvre and I could easily have just slotted it in on my good side, but I wanted to practice my blindsiding.

Cut a long story short, after 2 failed attempts I still hadn’t slotted it in…and by that time I had an audience. A shunter
was waiting impatiently to get past me, as were 2 visiting drivers who were waiting to get onto the bays opposite.

After 4 or 5 more shunts/failed attempts…and smirks/chuckles from my unwelcome audience, I ended up changing
sides and reversing the trailer in on my good side :blush: :blush:

Lancsdriver70:
Whenever possible (when it’s quiet and there’s no-one around), I try to practice my blindside reversing…which I
have to admit is a weakness.

The other night, the depot was quiet and I decided to blindside a trailer into a tight slot. There was plenty of room
to manoeuvre and I could easily have just slotted it in on my good side, but I wanted to practice my blindsiding.

Cut a long story short, after 2 failed attempts I still hadn’t slotted it in…and by that time I had an audience. A shunter
was waiting impatiently to get past me, as were 2 visiting drivers who were waiting to get onto the bays opposite.

After 4 or 5 more shunts/failed attempts…and smirks/chuckles from my unwelcome audience, I ended up changing
sides and reversing the trailer in on my good side :blush: :blush:

Good man, you attempted more than others would have done if they had to.
Keep working on it, and youll crack it.
I love blindsiding a trailer.

In about 1995 I was doing a changeover at Gretna services (Littlewoods on agency). I blindsided it into a space between two trucks first time, perfect. That was the highlight of my driving career and has never been bettered since. Every day since has been an off day.

Aww, had an off day? Poor lamb.

Try working on milk/oil/gas/animal feed, etc. in countrybumpkinland oop north in this weather.

Class 1 bay wallah? :unamused:

nickb67:
Aww, had an off day? Poor lamb.

Try working on milk/oil/gas/animal feed, etc. in countrybumpkinland oop north in this weather.

Class 1 bay wallah? :unamused:

Apologies. I bow to your overwhelming superiority :unamused:

Certainly had one this week, have done dozens of wheel changes but this time it went wrong.
Bar extension slipped off the breaker bar and cracked by head against the side of the trailer splitting my right ear open…que lots of blood… :stuck_out_tongue:
As for driving, reversing a fully freighted tilt through the workshop doors went down really well… :grimacing:

AndrewG:
Certainly had one this week, have done dozens of wheel changes but this time it went wrong.
Bar extension slipped off the breaker bar and cracked by head against the side of the trailer splitting my right ear open…que lots of blood… :stuck_out_tongue:
As for driving, reversing a fully freighted tilt through the workshop doors went down really well… :grimacing:

Were they open before or after the reverse? :laughing:

toonsy:

AndrewG:

Were they open before or after the reverse? :laughing:

Shut before, open afterwards… :grimacing:

Edited, misread your question…obviously yet another off day… :laughing:

Sad thing is off days always have an audience. Cracking days and no one ever in sight!

I used to deliver to Kane’s at Evesham way. The old bay at the front at the end (bay4) I think I had a mental block on that one and consistently got it wrong. Don’t know why just did. Especially if no one on the other bays.

Chalk it up to experience.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

And yes.

Wednesday arrive at Parkhouse, 1 bay free, foreigners all over, the yard, only option was a bindside, quick shunt, bish bash bosh, were on, loader said well done drive, man did I feel good… Then gets to Asda, put it on 13, two spaces either side, 6 shunts later, were on, then forgot to press the light button… hay ho

once went to hodson & dorrel (off a14 kettering) drives into the loading shed , reverse into marked bay smack in the middle of the lines. get out and pull curtains back , so far so good look round and forkie is shaking his head and grinning at me . I was actually parked in the loading area beside the bit I should have been in :blush:

Rowley010:
Anyone that says they don’t have any off days is lying. Fact. End of. Thank you and good night.

Nope…never have an off day.

commonrail:

Rowley010:

Nope…never have an off day.

I`ve never had an off day either.

Never been as short as a day.

P Stoff:
Sad thing is off days always have an audience. Cracking days and no one ever in sight!

I used to deliver to Kane’s at Evesham way. The old bay at the front at the end (bay4) I think I had a mental block on that one and consistently got it wrong. Don’t know why just did. Especially if no one on the other bays.

Chalk it up to experience.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

That was the old mushroom farm. I guess that you mean the bay right beside the office. The big problem there was the wall in front of the bays, and the quite steep slope that made the trailer do unexpected things. I was there one day when one of their own drivers dropped a trailer on that bay - legs down, lower suspension, pull forward and unhook susies - then he pulled forward clear of the trailer and jumped out to go to the office where I was. There was a horrible scraping noise followed by a loud crunch. The trailer had rolled forward onto his unit - oops! Better that than the wall I suppose though.

google.co.uk/maps/search/Ka … a=!3m1!1e3

Taking a couple of shunts to get where you want to be…is’nt an off day.
It’s part and parcel of the job.
If you’re super struggling…then it’s probably through inexperience or lack of ability.
The inexperience thing will pass
If you lack ability,then there is no hope.

I usually have an off day 5 days of the week lol…

Was out in a rigid other day, simple reverse to do…omg so many shunts ( the snow and getting stuck few times did not help ) would nit of thought i could reverse a coach anywhere before judging by how bad i was.

Give me an artic over rigid any day of the week…apart from my off days lol

Had a classic at Morrisons the other week. Blindsided onto the bay with one small shunt, handed my keys in feeling top of the world.

A short time later…

“Bay xyx. Come get your keys and open your back doors.”

■■■■.