Horsebox

Not sure if this is the right platform for this but anyway here goes … I took my wife’s 7.5 ton DAF horsebox for MOT today and it failed because the analogue tacho head was not displaying a calibration sticker - its been ripped off or fallen off and was nowhere in sight! The fact that the horsebox doesn’t even need a tacho fitted as its only used for private use is a complete irrelevance to VOSA. I now have to take the vehicle to the local tacho calibration centre and pay £91.00 + VAT to have the tachograph calibrated even though it will never be used to record data. Then it has to go back for a re-test!!
In my opinion this would appear to be a complete waste of time and money or am I missing something here??

You need to sort the spelling on your title, i nearly got myself all excited

On a serious note you would be better removing it altogether then you wouldnt need any stickers

My guess is, if it’s fitted, it must work, whether it’s used or not (just in case scenario)…■■?

Horebox though■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: Now corrected - thanks for pointing it out. Sorry to disappoint

Moonraker:
:oops: Now corrected - thanks for pointing it out. Sorry to disappoint

You should have left it, just for Dipper Dave’s reply. :laughing:

muckles:

Moonraker:
:oops: Now corrected - thanks for pointing it out. Sorry to disappoint

You should have left it, just for Dipper Dave’s reply. :laughing:

That was the first thing i thought

Afaik if a tacho is fitted, it has to work as per regs.

Private LGVs only need to have the tacho sealed not calibrated

No…

I’m sticking with Horebox for comedic value.

I Googled ‘Horebox calibration’ and got some really wild answers.

dipper this one is goldust

It’s fitted it must work, also it’s your only method of knowing how fast your going, so to have it calibrated,would be for your benefit to.

You have just been stiffed good and proper pal.For a start tacho calibration is not an mot fail and second if the vehicle is tacho exempt it does not even need to have a tacho seal fitted and if the vehicle has a seperate speedo it does not even have to be connected.

Bking:
You have just been stiffed good and proper pal.For a start tacho calibration is not an mot fail and second if the vehicle is tacho exempt it does not even need to have a tacho seal fitted and if the vehicle has a seperate speedo it does not even have to be connected.

Tacho calibration is an MOT fail for digital which don’t have six yearlies only two yearly.

It is not an MOT fail on analogue if it’s missing the two yearly but they have to have a six yearly which is an MOT fail if there is no valid plaque in the door jamb.

What part of analogue and exempt are you having trouble understanding?

Buses on stage carriage have digital tacho fitted and need no calibration ticket for MOT.
Did one last week 5 years old no calibration ticket needed for limiter or tachograph.No exemption as its used on none stage work at the weekend.
Or maybe the DVSA man needs to talk to you to put him right.

Moonraker:
Not sure if this is the right platform for this but anyway here goes … I took my wife’s 7.5 ton DAF horsebox for MOT today and it failed because the analogue tacho head was not displaying a calibration sticker - its been ripped off or fallen off and was nowhere in sight! The fact that the horsebox doesn’t even need a tacho fitted as its only used for private use is a complete irrelevance to VOSA. I now have to take the vehicle to the local tacho calibration centre and pay £91.00 + VAT to have the tachograph calibrated even though it will never be used to record data. Then it has to go back for a re-test!!
In my opinion this would appear to be a complete waste of time and money or am I missing something here??

Nope, afaik he is right I nearly got caught out as well. Here is an extract from a guide specifically for horsebox owners. Found here

If there is a tachograph installed, check to see that your use of the vehicle makes it exempt. If your vehicle is fitted with a
tachograph but you only use the instrument as a speedometer, you must ensure that all the seals are intact, and that it has been calibrated and fitted with both the calibration and K factor plaques.

Check with Peter Smythe on the newbies forum as to the current tacho calibration rules for private LGVs as he runs a fleet of them

I have a private hgv - 26 tonne 6 wheeler to be precise…

I was informed by a very well-respected haulier friend of mine and by the VOSA test centre AND by the tester himself, that you need an in date six year calibration certificate.

They would LIKE you to have the two year calibration but it will not be a fail if you don’t have it…it WILL be an advisory!

Information correct as of this time last year :smiley: