EE curtain sided vans?

I’ve had the misfortune to get the S/E run this week so have seen hundreds of them. What is the business model for them? I ask because UK firms don’t run them really so they must have found a niche no?
It surely doesn’t pay to send a van that can only carry about 6 pallets all the way from Poland does it?[emoji848]

Vehicle parts from Eastern Europe for manufacturers like Nissan in Sunderland done as just in time.

Just in time urgent supply chain to car factories, if they fail to deliver, the production line shuts down with huge financial consequences.

normally their cargo is light but urgent, lots of big suppliers have cost penalties and delivery dates to be met so cost is of no consequence, some are good jobs for good money, but most brits put up with sleeping across the seats,

Just In Time work ?
Sometimes.
Other times -
No tachos, max hours, minimum regulation, sort of legal, but cheaper.
And just because they’re on, possibly, Polish plates doesn’t mean all there goods are to/fro Poland or wherever.

nomiS36:
I’ve had the misfortune to get the S/E run this week so have seen hundreds of them. What is the business model for them? I ask because UK firms don’t run them really so they must have found a niche no?
It surely doesn’t pay to send a van that can only carry about 6 pallets all the way from Poland does it?[emoji848]

The business model is they can pay far lower wages than a Western European courier service; it’s unlikely that they are only delivering goods from their country of origin. Instead more likely they “tramp” round Europe picking up goods from whatever country they’re in.
As other have said much of the work will be for things like production line stoppers or parts required for emergency maintenance, the costs of getting 1 pallet or even a box of bits delivered by van, or in extreme circumstances by aircraft, is far outweighed by the cost of stopping a production line or having some piece of industrial machinery standing idle while waiting for parts.

The business model is solid - overloaded to the hilt with a driver who needs to drive from Granada to Gothenburg in one hit, if he expects to get paid.

There are many stopped in Sweden every week, in this insrance only 22 and 46% overloaded, with 100%+ overlast not unheard of.

There’s an un official camp of them round the back of heston services, they run airfrieght parts back to the reich, lots around Coventry (jaguar/LR)

The lot I used to work for often picked up work delivering the overloads at Dover docks .
Always urgent and usually car parts for JLR . Always straight to delivery point and tip straight away as production was waiting .
We also ran deliveries the other direction , usually aircraft parts for an aircraft sat at an airfield somewhere.
You delivering the missiles?
No I’m delivering the targets the missiles are on another wagon .
The conversation had at an MOD range delivery of an overload from Germany.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They were a cost effective transit solution to a logistical problem, companies were paying for a full trailer, tolls and ferry cost for transitting 2 or 3 pallets, plus there was the addition to drivers hours etc.
The puddle jumping cockroach brigade of the former eastern bloc have low insurance, lower toll charges and cheaper crossings as well as they aren’t tied to drivers hours.

For a production line to stop at JLR it costs something daft like £60k per minute we’re told. Getting the parts required no matter what is cheap in comparison.

milodon:
Två överlastade ”3,5:or” - på väg till Volvo Lastvagnar - Tidningen PROFFS - En Riktig Lastbilstidning

I know Google translate sometimes requires a bit of lateral thinking, but what the hell does this mean?

In total, the driver received a fine of SEK 4 750 in fines.

• 4,000 for overcharging and 750 kronor for an unmarried dog in the cabin.

The dog, on the other hand, had all the papers in order and consequently must accompany his house across national borders.

The dog wasn’t secured in the cabin, but it had had all the necessary vaccinations and such and can therefore continue on its journey with his master.

milodon:
The dog wasn’t secured in the cabin, but it had had all the necessary vaccinations and such and can therefore continue on its journey with his master.

I prefered the Google translation to yours. :laughing:

One of these i saw pulled into a checkpoint nr Reims a while back on BG plates, single wheel rear axle Merc with curtain side body with four (4) IBC/s with what looked like antifreeze, thats going on 4t. Must have been like steering a boat…

muckles:

milodon:

Me too [emoji23]

nomiS36:

muckles:

milodon:

Me too [emoji23]

And me :laughing:

Shall we just go with it?

90% of them are for the aerospace and classed as special transport for Rolls Royce and their suppliers.

At my previous company we had 6 ibc’s to go to Hamburg, well we were all expecting an artic to rock up but no, 6 of these vans arrived and I loaded one each on them…
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

muckles:

milodon:

Me too. I am going to nick that and save it for a future post [emoji23]