Treating others the way you'd like to get treated yourself

As is said above

I’m driving for a family firm, but the day to day job is getting a bit of a stuggle due to the way some of the staff finding it ok to speak to others like there a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■. The bosses son and a few of his old timer hence men think that it’s ok to roar and shout abuse to a select few drivers on a day to day basis. Yesterday was a prime example where ya give up a day of your weekend to go in and help out and when things don’t go according to plan it’s a shouting and balling match, due to crap machinery breaking down. I’m on the verge in giving one of them a fat lip and sore mouth if it continues. As the saying nothing and taking it has gone on long enough. Any one else put up with daily crap?

I’ve walked away from so many jobs because of bad attitudes. Won’t accept it. If I make a mistake talk to me like an adult and we’ll work out how it won’t happen again, shout at me, or even worse give me the passive aggressive silent treatment as one second rate employer did, and I’ll be on my way.

switchlogic:
I’ve walked away from so many jobs because of bad attitudes. Won’t accept it. If I make a mistake talk to me like an adult and we’ll work out how it won’t happen again, shout at me, or even worse give me the passive aggressive silent treatment as one second rate employer did, and I’ll be on my way.

+1…

There’s no excuse for bad manners. I’ve walked away from jobs because of the very same things the OP has pointed out.

Giving someone a fat lip makes you feel great for about five minutes. Not so good when the plod come knocking on your door with an assault charge.

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

+1…

There’s no excuse for bad manners. I’ve walked away from jobs because of the very same things the OP has pointed out.

Giving someone a fat lip makes you feel great for about five minutes. Not so good when the plod come knocking on your door with an assault charge.

I’ve made it clear that I don’t like it and won’t put up with it, but it’s fell on deaf ears, I’m thinking that the bosses son is border line Schizophrenic as his moods change so quick, plus the dope he smokes doesn’t help him I’d say. Time to move on but when ya have bills to pay its easier said than done. Patients is running out I’m afraid. But thanks for the advice, blowing my lid is what I don’t want. And I’m a firm believer off treating others the way I’d like to be treated

Yes never blow you lid, calmly hand your notice in and if they ask why calmly explain why- the calmness of the situation really gets to these type of people! If they start to shout just walk away

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

+1…

I find it effective, a bit like dealing with the play ground bully, which I think these guys are at

I’ve been lucky that I’ve never had to put up with bad attitudes from bosses.
Drivers however, are a different kettle of fish.
When I did a stint as morning supervisor the bad attitude I got from my so called “workmates” was shocking.
Being asked to go from EC1 to EC2 resulted in slamming doors, jumping up and down, stamping of feet, ringing the transport manager and constantly whingeing for a week after and then the inevitable “victimisation” cry.
When they realised that I didn’t actually give a monkeys, and that in the grand scheme of things they were very well looked after it calmed down, but for a few months it was hell.

I symphasize for you I would recommend speaking to a union and if you’ve been there two years you have additional rights. A small retail company they had this small minded mentality from the office team and warehouse staff and all the drivers leave constantly.
They would constantly follow me around the yard and to the canteen and search my cab after shifts. It was personal and got to the point that I was actually trying to get sacked and I would wait outside the depot for the day staff to go away.
I had abusive letters sent personally to my door due to them making a mistake and asking me to do something illegal and me refusing. As soon as you get the unions involved they soon backed down as they were in the wrong and just simply refused to sign there disciplinary hearings. I’m glad I went back to agency work and to be honest you are treated a lot better and paid more.

switchlogic:

+2

It is totally unacceptable for an employer or his management to shout at an employee. It is verbal assault and it is as unacceptable as physical assault. If anyone tried that on with me I would be out of the gate before they got the first sentence finished.

I can’t stand being spoken down to or aggressively. It never gets the desired response out of me.

I’ve had an assistant manager for years who just doesn’t get it. I’ve even sat him down and explained that talking to me like an equal will get him further than being rude. Which just results in me yelling back at him.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I turn in do my job with no hold ups or damage, I keep myself to myself and stay clear off drama and backstabbing, it’s like working with a bunch of women(no offence to women reading this) but it seems to be a case off who can get the tongue up the bosses arse the furthest. Hence the henchmen comment in the opening post. I just want a weeks pay for a weeks work, not to much to ask, but when you have to take people’s bad manners while the job itself is hard enough then it doesn’t help matters

switchlogic:

Yes the silent treatment that’s another one, when the group get together and make it obvious that they have made the decision not to speak to ya, pathetic and comical at the same time

An old saying of “people don’t leave jobs, they leave bad managers” is somewhat true. If someone is so wound up with you that they have to resort to shouting at you there is something very wrong. Either you are at fault for allowing them to actually think it will be ok to shout at you or they are indeed truly bad managers. No one has ever shouted at me personally at work as I am sure they would know better than to try that, however I have been spoken to like a child before today which in my opinion is as bad. I would soon put a stop that one in its tracks though tbh. As an analogy to what I am saying is this, would you shout at a lunatic pointing a gun at your head? or would you be calm with him. The person shouting at you obviously views you as someone he can shout at. Just throwing that into the mix.

I am at an age now where I can’t take the malecowpoopoo from people. I actually calmly ask people why they are talking to me in such a way. Whether it be back door man or flt driver or anyone. It works better than ranting. I also look them right in the eye and at over 6ft and too close to 19 stone I seem to be getting through to some of them

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

On the rare occasions when I’ve had to put up with shouty customers or drivers, I simply reply to them in terms of exquisite politeness; and do my best not to swear, not even a “bloody”. Guaranteed to wind them up even more.

Superhampton1980:

switchlogic:

Yes the silent treatment that’s another one, when the group get together and make it obvious that they have made the decision not to speak to ya, pathetic and comical at the same time

Is an utterly ridiculous way to run a business. In one job I made a sizable mistake which I was mortified about and apologised profusely for only for the boss to stop talking to me entirely, for about 6 weeks at which point I emailed telling him I’ll be in my way. He actually replied to that cordially but then followed the next day by a completely unprovoked tirade of abuse at me in a text message! Up to that point I want sure if I was doing the right thing by levaving, after text I couldn’t get away quick enough! Never have I missed a job less

Sidevalve is right.Exquisite politeness in the face of an individual who is spoiling for shouting match is the way to go.You have to resist the urge to smirk as they struggle to prevent their exploding temper.

I worked for unigate as agency,we had a guy called willie[William I assume]he was being bxxxxxxxd for loading a pallet of glass bottles right in the middle of a trailer,on his return all the bottles were spread across the trailer and smashed,the supervisor was shouting at him not to load in the middle,this was in front of me and six others,when the supervisor finished shouting willie as calm as you like replied in his Scottish accent OH DEAR,everyone just fell about with laughter so did the supervisor,so funny and the best way to deal with a situation like that