Learners on motorway

Should be interesting, let’s hope they teach them to join properly.

According to the advice of the expert driving instructor quoted, motorways are the same as dual carriageways but “a bit faster”. :unamused:

It’s only going to be when a learner is supervised by an ADI, so they can’t just go on the motorway with their granny in the passenger seat.
I would think that ADIs will be able to decide at what point a learner driver is proficient enough to drive on higher speed roads safely. They aren’t going to take them on a motorway on the first lesson.

Glen A9:
It’s only going to be when a learner is supervised by an ADI, so they can’t just go on the motorway with their granny in the passenger seat.
I would think that ADIs will be able to decide at what point a learner driver is proficient enough to drive on higher speed roads safely. They aren’t going to take them on a motorway on the first lesson.

Exactly this ^^^^

It won’t be part of the test and as mentioned the instructor decides when it’s appropriate.

I think this is a good thing. It can be quite daunting to use a motorway for the first time having passed your test.

To do it with an instructor will help with confidence as well as actually practically learning how to use a motorway correctly.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

And if you live in somewhere like Gt Yarmouth or North West Wales or Truro ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

About time this was allowed.
I would take my pupils on the A48 from Carmarthen to Pont Abraham to give them a feel for speed and chaos and was frustrated when I could not go further.
Cheers
Paul

It might help to improve the standard of driving instructors first…!

SWEDISH BLUE:
And if you live in somewhere like Gt Yarmouth or North West Wales or Truro ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

There’s a load of places not realistically able to reach a motorway during a lesson but those pupils will have to learn the old fashioned way like all we have done.

I think it’s a good idea but i think there should be a mandatory leson after they’ve passed there test

tomo3607:
I think it’s a good idea but i think there should be a mandatory leson after they’ve passed there test

What if they live in Helston for example ?

It’s a good thing if they teach them properly. Such as the end of the on-ramp is a give way line,and keep to the left unless you’re overtaking. From what I’ve seen on A and B roads, some instructors need instructing though

I think it’s a good thing.
The speed of motorways is something learners find very difficult to manage when they first pass their test.
They either go too fast or dawdle along like rabbits caught in the headlights.
Any extra experience of “real life” driving can only be a good thing.

I live on an island in Scotland. When I was learning to drive a car we had no roundabouts or traffic lights here let alone a motorway. The first time I drove on the mainland was terrifying.

You can still sit your test on the island and at least now we have two roundabouts and one set of traffic lights but I still think it would be beneficial for new drivers to have lessons on the mainland and at least a run on the motorway. The nearest to us being the M8

SWEDISH BLUE:

What if they live in Helston for example?

A 4 hour driving lesson…any takers…I think not.

Rural driving when 1 hour lessons are in the middle of London = not going to happen
Same with motorways

Has anybody else noticed the increase of motorway collision since the start of the school holidays? All those extra drivers who never usually use them suddenly find themselves driving outside of their comfort zone. Personally I’d like to see motorway driving have its own test.

Heard some ■■■■ this morning saying it was a bad idea because a learner on the motorway will potentially be doing only 45mph and an Instructors
Ability to intervene is limited with dual control.
The fact someone can pass their test at 9am having never been on a motorway then venture on one at 0930 cometwly unsupervised didnt seem to be a problem for him though. Joined up thinking not his strong suit!

The-Snowman:
Heard some [zb] this morning saying it was a bad idea because a learner on the motorway will potentially be doing only 45mph and an Instructors
Ability to intervene is limited with dual control.
The fact someone can pass their test at 9am having never been on a motorway then venture on one at 0930 cometwly unsupervised didnt seem to be a problem for him though. Joined up thinking not his strong suit!

I’m regularly overtaking people who are only doing 45mph, and not in the the roadworks. There is a serious problem with poor driving in this country.