Life of a truck driver

This was posted on Faceache:

Life of a truck driver
For all the guys wanting to Drive Trucks, take a close look before you sign on the dotted line :
Yes the wages are good
Yes you can up your lifestyle with a nice home, cars and toys.
Yes the financial rewards are tempting
Yes it gets in your blood
Yes you see the country
Yes you get considerable time at home when you are at home
Yes you miss Family and loved ones
Yes Relationships will be strained and pushed to breaking point
Yes you wish your life away when you are away
Yes you lay awake at night sometimes wondering “why do I do this” and “Is this really worth it”

SO ■■? BEFORE YOU EMBARK ON A TRIP AND SIGN YOUR LIFE AWAY, REMEMBER;
You may not make every party, BBQ, wedding or funeral
You may not be home for Christmas or easter
You may not be there for your children’s birthdays
You may not see your kids swim, ride a bike for the first time or be there to read stories at night
You may not be there to take them to watch sports games
You may not be there for presentation nights, school plays or parent/teacher interviews
You may not be there to see them win medals at school sports days
No you will not always be there during times of family crisis and feel helpless being so far away
No you might not be there to bury a family member or close friend

So, before anybody judges someone who has the guts and courage to work away to try and make a better life for themselves and those around them, DONT say “YOU MUST BE MINTED” or "YOUR LUCKY’.

These people sacrifice more than half of their life being away from loved ones to make their dreams comes true.

Mark Lee

Steve

So I should be alright as long as I have no kids judging by that list.

wages are good

■■■■■■ idiot. No they aren’t.

I can relate to all the points in the second section, and have experienced them all.

The first section, yeh again most of them
But…good wages?.. financial rewards good?
Not so sure. :neutral_face:

Typical faceache sentimental bullocks.

No one in any other job EVER misses out on family stuff.

Being a truck driver is more than a job, and simultaneously just a job. Every truck driver knows that. Truckers are not the only workers to miss family life. Doctors work long, unsociable hours. Business owners have to put their business before their family. Plumbers are on 24 hour call outs. Factory shift workers work at night, and their children need to be quiet all day when daddy needs to sleep…

The donkey makes a good point, but he forgot to mention personnel in the armed forces, of which many go months without spending time with their loved ones.

We are not the only ones to say goodbye to our families and spend significant time away. It is unfortunate but it’s a sacrifice that we CHOOSE to make.

Chunkzilla:
The donkey makes a good point, but he forgot to mention personnel in the armed forces, of which many go months without spending time with their loved ones.

We are not the only ones to say goodbye to our families and spend significant time away. It is unfortunate but it’s a sacrifice that we CHOOSE to make.

Yes, I missed the armed forces… How remiss of me. There is a job where you not only tell your family your not going to be seeing them for a few months, but you’re going to be near people who actually and actively want you to never see your family again.

Puts that unexpected Friday night out into perspective…

the nodding donkey:
you’re going to be near people who actually and actively want you to never see your family again.

Sounds like a night out parked up in Liverpool. :laughing:

(Now hey hey hey, calm down, calm down you Scousers it’s a joke)

robroy:

the nodding donkey:
you’re going to be near people who actually and actively want you to never see your family again.

Sounds like a night out parked up in Liverpool. :laughing:

(Now hey hey hey, calm down, calm down you Scousers it’s a joke)

No Rob, that’s your wheels, not your family…

I do a month on and a month offnow but in previous jobs it was two months away an a month at home

Which leaves the question if the downsides of distance work are that bad then we’d expect to see a situation in which long haul drivers would want to rotate between home every evening and weekends but boring local work and more interesting distance work on a regular basis.On that note I’d have been happy to rotate between my start at 7.30 finish at 5 pm 5 day week council driver’s job for example and long haul international tramping for example on a regular basis.But for some reason those who were on that more interesting work wanted to stay with it regardless of its downsides.

So no I’ve got no sympathy with that view.In that if those drivers find out that you can have too much of a good thing,to the point where the downsides of it start to outweigh the upsides,while as a result lumbering others with too much time stuck on,boring, home every evening and weekends,local work,that’s their own choice and fault. :unamused:

Chunkzilla:
personnel in the armed forces, of which many go months without spending time with their loved ones.

Too true.
My mate is in the army and hes just back from a 2 year tour and has only just met his 3 month old daughter for the first time

Captain Caveman 76:

Nail. On. Head. Its just missing the old ‘97% won’t share this but my friends will. Copy and paste, don’t share’…how are people still being taken in by such nonsense. Most the the pros in first list aren’t even true

The-Snowman:

Chunkzilla:
personnel in the armed forces, of which many go months without spending time with their loved ones.

Too true.
My mate is in the army and hes just back from a 2 year tour and has only just met his 3 month old daughter for the first time

Good job he doesn’t understand the human reproductive cycle!

Captain Caveman 76:

The-Snowman:

Chunkzilla:

Too true.

Or maths… :grimacing:

mrginge:
So I should be alright as long as I have no kids judging by that list.

Worked for me :wink:

Mr Albion’s first job was in the Swedish Merchant Navy. I suspect there was quite a lot he didn’t get back for.

Captain Caveman 76:

hm forces nhs staff to name but a few

the nodding donkey:

Captain Caveman 76:

The-Snowman:

Chunkzilla:

Too true.

Hes fine with all that, she explained it to him.
The bit hes not sure about is why hes white and his daughter is black…

The-Snowman:

the nodding donkey:

Captain Caveman 76:

The-Snowman:

Chunkzilla:

Too true.

Hes fine with all that, she explained it to him.
The bit hes not sure about is why hes white and his daughter is black…

She probably told him that she had got hold of a tube of his camo cream…And could’nt get it off in time for when he came home…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk