A few newbie questions

I start my new Driving job on the 31st of this month. My first shift starts at 15.30. Just a couple of questions before the big day.
So I’ve got all my paper work keys etc from the office.
Find my tractor unit, get in the cab. Enter my card…Then what?
I know it will ask for a manual entry so what do I choose?
Do I do my checks on the tractor unit, go couple up to my trailer and do checks on the trailer or go find my trailer and do checks on the tractor and trailer together? Put number plate on and off we go.
Then from Castleford to whitley to load, then on to Newmarket, swap my loaded trailer for another loaded trailer then back to Doncaster, do a tip at tesco then back to Castleford.
Everything might sound abit disjointed but I’m just after some advice.
Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well after you have all your paperwork and keys.Then located the unit…Put your card in.It will ask if you want to do a manual entry.So say yes…So for arguments sake you got your keys and paperwork at 15.15.Then enter that as your start time…As that is other work…Record it as such with the cross hammers.Then do all your checks on the tractor unit.Obviousely if it is already coupled up you can do the lot together.If not.Then once coupled up you’ll do a walk round check of the trailer.Checking all the lights and indicators.Tyres etc…Good luck with it all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Most modern trucks do not have the old fashioned dip stick to check the engine oil, so it is a case of scrolling on the electronic menu on the dash .
It may be easier to lift up the suspension on the tractor unit, to check the rear tires for damage, bulges in the side walls or nails .
Before reversing up to the trailer, adjust the suspension, or you miss the pin, by going over it, or too low .
Check the water level in the windscreen wash bottle and the horn .
As the previous poster said, if the truck is connected to the trailer, do the manual entry at the same time .

daftvader:
Well after you have all your paperwork and keys.Then located the unit…Put your card in.It will ask if you want to do a manual entry.So say yes…So for arguments sake you got your keys and paperwork at 15.15.Then enter that as your start time…As that is other work…Record it as such with the cross hammers.Then do all your checks on the tractor unit.Obviousely if it is already coupled up you can do the lot together.If not.Then once coupled up you’ll do a walk round check of the trailer.Checking all the lights and indicators.Tyres etc…Good luck with it all.

Thanks datf
So once I’m coupled up, back to selecting the crosshammers do my checks then off I go. Is there a set length of time I should be looking at regarding tell checks. I have a check sheet to fill in.
Whilst I’m being loaded do I also select the crosshammers?
Also when I take my break I select the rest/break symbol, I want to go to the toilet. Take keys out lock up, will the machine still run whilst the ignition is off.
I know some of these questions sound daft but I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right.
Thanks

Way I do it… get in ya motor… whack your card in do your manual entry do what you gotta do on that… then check the unit over wheels… hazards… full beam… fogs… all the goodies… then head over to your trailer… if dark whack on your rear working light will help ya see when hooking up. Get ya self nice and straight with the trailer, get out check the trailer brake is on & make sure no one’s on the back of your trailer presuming your on a bay… get back in lower your suspension on the unit… Back underneath the trailer raise the unit all the way up just before the pin then fully back up until you connect… get out whack your dog clip on… go chuck the lines on raise the legs, dis engage ya park brake on trailer… pull forward a few inches kill the engine make sure you got all your lights on… chuck a stone under your brake pedal go round to where your trailer reg plate is stored on your unit grab that and then work your way along the trailer checking it all… then stick your plate on and your sorted I think. :'-)

No question is daft mate.Once you’ve coupled up your tacho should revert to cross hammers automatically.But just check as some are set up to default to bed.Wich in that case you will have to change the mode to other work.Regarding the set times for checks.It takes as l9ng as it takes.I usually do 10mins 1st thing.But then i drive the same unit all the time.Also have a look around it during the day to while tipping or loading…As for selecting cross hammers when loading that depends if your helping to load or not.If your on a bay you can stick it on break.And when you put it on break and remove the keys it will stay on break

jamieh1990:
So once I’m coupled up, back to selecting the crosshammers do my checks then off I go. Is there a set length of time I should be looking at regarding tell checks. I have a check sheet to fill in.
Whilst I’m being loaded do I also select the crosshammers?
Also when I take my break I select the rest/break symbol, I want to go to the toilet. Take keys out lock up, will the machine still run whilst the ignition is off.
I know some of these questions sound daft but I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right.

There is no set amount of time that you must allow for your checks - they take as long as they take. Some companies like to see around 15 minutes before the wheels start turning - TBH if it’s a unit that you’ve not driven before and a trailer that you’ve not seen before, your checks are going to take longer than 15 minutes anyway (if you’re doing them properly)

Tacho mode while being loaded/unloaded depends on what you as the driver are required to do. If you’re just sat in the cab (or elsewhere) while someone else does all the work, Break (Bed symbol) or POA (“Square” symbol) would be appropriate. If you are assisting or supervising the loaders, then Other Work (Cross Hammers) should be used.

The tacho will continue to record even while the cab is locked up/ignition switched off. But here’s where you may need to take care - Some tachographs are set up to always default to Other Work as soon as the wheels stop turning, while others will default to Break. Some tachographs will also change to Other Work if you switch the ignition on (e.g. to open/close the windows, or to listen to the radio). If you don’t keep an eye on it this can easily result in your 45 minute Break being recorded as Other Work! Watch the display like a hawk and see what happens when the wheels stop turning. Even more important watch it while you turn the ignition on, and see if it changes mode from Break to Other Work - If it does, you will have just a few seconds (while the mode symbol is flashing on the display) to press the mode button a couple of times to revert it to Break.

daftvader:
And when you put it on break and remove the keys it will stay on break

Depends how the tacho has been set up. Some of them change mode to Other Work whenever the ignition is switched on or off. Some only do it when switching on, while others don’t change mode at all unless you press the mode button.

Roymondo:

daftvader:
And when you put it on break and remove the keys it will stay on break

Depends how the tacho has been set up. Some of them change mode to Other Work whenever the ignition is switched on or off. Some only do it when switching on, while others don’t change mode at all unless you press the mode button.

You’d think it might be nice if they all worked the same way.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. It’s appreciated. So whilst I’m loading or they are loading me, That time I’m just sat in the cab, is that counted towards my driving break? Or is that separate.
Should I keep a note pad to note down my driving times from place to place. From Castleford to whitley, Then whitley to Newmarket then Newmarket to Doncaster then back to Castleford. Just so I know when i have drove the 4.5hrs.
Thanks all.
Jamie

If you sit in the cab while they tip or load you.And your on break…And say you have a 45 min bk…Then yeah that will clear your last period of driving.And allow you another 4.5 drive or whatever you have left…I personaly use a diary to keep all my driving times from place to place.But you should also be able to get that info up on the tacho unit or dash also…Some people use phone apps and things.But i’m old…lol.

daftvader:
If you sit in the cab while they tip or load you.And your on break…And say you have a 45 min bk…Then yeah that will clear your last period of driving.And allow you another 4.5 drive or whatever you have left…I personaly use a diary to keep all my driving times from place to place.But you should also be able to get that info up on the tacho unit or dash also…Some people use phone apps and things.But i’m old…lol.

I’ll stick with the pen and pad for now untill I can to grips with it all.
The first loading is only about 45/60mins from the depot so I won’t be needing a break for a while which I’m guessing will be somewere on the way to Newmarket.
My main issue was the tacho and checks which now has been covered.
I’m sure before I start there will be some more questions I need answering.
He said it’s a straight forward job, yeah it is to someone who knows what there doing lol
Either way I’m looking forward to the new road ahead and am counting down the days untill my notice runs out. My boss went on holiday today so I won’t see him before I finish. He told me good luck etc and if things don’t go to plan I know were he his. Which is good I guess.

Good luck. Like any new job I imagine the first day will be the hardest. But it’ll all come together.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jamieh, I use a simple cooker timer, kitchen and hardware shops sell them for about a tenner, truckstops also sell them.
Either set it for a 9 or 10 drive or 4.30 hours.
Ideal for daily rest on a night out.
If stuck in stationary to slow moving traffic jams, some tachos add two minutes to each stop in the jam.

jamieh1990:
I start my new Driving job on the 31st of this month. My first shift starts at 15.30. Just a couple of questions before the big day.
So I’ve got all my paper work keys etc from the office.
Find my tractor unit, get in the cab. Enter my card…Then what?
I know it will ask for a manual entry so what do I choose?
Do I do my checks on the tractor unit, go couple up to my trailer and do checks on the trailer or go find my trailer and do checks on the tractor and trailer together? Put number plate on and off we go.
Then from Castleford to whitley to load, then on to Newmarket, swap my loaded trailer for another loaded trailer then back to Doncaster, do a tip at tesco then back to Castleford.
Everything might sound abit disjointed but I’m just after some advice.
Thanks all.

You’ll need to do a manual entry because your shift started at 15:30, you may not get to the truck till 16:00. Put your card in, wind the clock back to 15:30 as that was the start of your shift. The mode you want to use is Other Work as getting keys, notes and other stuff is work related. Once that is plumbed in, the tacho should default to Other Work, if it doesn’t just cycle the modes until it does. Then get out and check the unit over. Doesn’t need to be very long. Once you’ve done that, go and find your trailer. Do some brake tests on the way to check the units brakes are OK. Don’t worry about not doing the 10 minutes here because we’ll get that done when we hook up to the trailer.

When hooking up, line yourself up, reverse back then just before you’re about to touch the trailer with your skids, drop the air out completely, additionally here I would hop out, double check it is the right trailer because if they are all identical its very easy to back up to the wrong one! Also, go make sure the trailer brake is on. Once the air is out and the back of the unit is as low as it will go continue the reverse under trailer till the headboard is between the drive and mid-lift axles. Stop then lift the back end up. You should see the headboard begin to rise, keep holding till it stops. Keep an eye on the air gauge because if its a heavy trailer then it will drain the air quicker so you mean need to wait for the compressor to build the air up again. Once its all the way up continue backing under. This should be done in a nice smooth motion but its not always the case. Heavy trailers and not a lot of grease on the turn-table can be tricky as the trailer will stick forcing you to use more gas to get it moving again. Remember, the unit is now taking all the weight. Even if you aren’t lined up correctly, because you’ve lifted the legs off the deck, the trailer will simply pivot into the jaws. When you feel the jolt of the trailer being locked into the turn table, do your tug tests then stop, put the park brake on and turn the engine off. Continue with the coupling process from there!

Every time you swap trailers do a walk round your mainly checking the trl but it’s been known to blow bulbs on units or a faulty wire causes a short

I keep a basic log book, start time (rounded down to the nearest 5mins) end time (rounded up to the nearest 5mins), unit, trailer(s), start km, end km, where I’ve stopped for the night. Then I do a basic arrive and depart time for each place I go, but I only do 2-3 drops/collections a day, so that’s not a major undertaking. I also note any defects in it, and write down the defect note number, or briefly detail any cockups so that I have a record.

Don’t worry about keeping track of your time if you’ve got a digital tacho, have a little play with it, they’re dead simple and even the older ones give you enough info to be fine. I had a go at a tacho simulator before I started driving and all it did was confuse me, the real thing is easy - you just have to pay attention to it.

Do everything one step at a time - no matter how long it takes you to do whatever it is you’re trying to do, it will take a hell of a lot longer if you damage something!

Be prepared to struggle with reversing, randomly! Last week, Mon-Tue-Wed I couldn’t have backed it into an aircraft hanger without taking a shunt or four, including needing the help of a very patient EE driver on Weds night to bank me through an almost-straight chicane then into a tight, but do-able good side bay… Thursday lunchtime I got to my drop and blindsided onto the bay around a pillar in one hit, got back to the yard and completely failed to put it onto a bay despite having enough space to get almost straight on. The week before, I went home patting myself on the back for finally starting to reverse like I know what I’m doing!

Some days you’re the pigeon, some day’s you’re the statue! :laughing:

To be honest you sound like you’re well enough grounded to be able to deal with anything that your day throws at you. Manual entries might appear daunting but if you think about it, all that’s being asked is “are there any gaps in the times that are shown on your card you need to fill in?”

sent using smoke signals

And if you balls up the manual entry, there is always a yes/no option at the end before you submit it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I thinks it’s just the fact of me starting a new job in a totally different role than what I’m used to. I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube too.
But what I did see was that the time on tacho was UTC. So do I change the time to our zone or just keep it on the same and select UK.
Thanks for all your help guys