45 minute break

So only been driving for a few days and had the following scenario (sorry in advance for long winded story) :
left depot drove to 1st stop about 30 mins
waited to be called (put on break) for 50 mins
called over, went to get loaded was told to put on break for 15 min while waiting so when i get to the next stop about 3 hrs away will only need another 30 min break before heading home …made sense so…
put it on break and forgot about it, anyway loading was delayed so ended up on break for over 45 mins left at 1am
off i went and drove 3 hrs then stopped and went on break for 37 mins thinking this will clear me for the 4.5 hr drive home
suddenly about 6am the tacho started flashing that i needed break …so stopped for another 15 mins on break and it seemed to sort it.

My questions are : did this happen because the driving hours reset at the first stop as i had gone over 45 mins break■■? so would have been better off just clicking to other work after 15 mins■■?
also as i stopped for just 15 min when it flashed… (although it made it stop flashing and show 52 mins in total break) am i still in infringement because the 2nd break was less than 30 min■■?

Again sorry for long story just trying to get my head round different scenarios

Any breaks of 45 mins, or (15+30) will reset your drive time!

However I’m a bit confused that you’re saying a 15 min break satisfied the tacho after you’d also had a 30 min break earlier. This shouldn’t happen I don’t believe, as you can ONLY split your 45 mins driving break by having a 15 and a 30 in that order.

So yes I suspect you have an infringement coming! :grimacing:

As above.

If you want some lube ask dozy he has plenty :wink:

willamy02:
would have been better off just clicking to other work after 15 mins■■?

If you don’t want the tacho to reset your drive time, then yes quite probably. However I’d only flick it over to Other Work for a minute, and then back to Break, as you also PROBABLY need to keep your WTD hours down, and Break obviously doesn’t count towards WTD hours.

Do not try to get clever and start using POA unless your firm insists on it, or you work for the Green Death who I believe try to deduct all breaks from your wages. :unamused: POA is a right pain in the arse for Newbies, and will screw with the Tacho resetting your drive time, fooling you in to thinking the Tacho is happy. You’ll get an infringement later and have to borrow dozy’s lube! :laughing:

Hope that helps pal, and if you want a good concise overview of the rules check this out: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134561

Evil8Beezle:

willamy02:

If you don’t want the tacho to reset your drive time, then yes quite probably. However I’d only flick it over to Other Work for a minute, and then back to Break,

Now think about what you’ve said because that will also trigger the full break

Thanks for help guys, i thought that is why it was having a ‘moment’, i dont use POA as i’m paid by job not hours so can use break as and when needed without penalty by company as long as i get there and deliver on time all is good. so will remember next time to just keep break below 45min if i want to split rather than let it run over(im assuming in theory i could have up to a 44 min break and then still only need the 30 min top up,correct■■?). hey ho guess i HAD to have a newbie mistake otherwise wont become a ‘REAL’ trucker :smiley: :smiley:

willamy02:
Thanks for help guys, i thought that is why it was having a ‘moment’, i dont use POA as i’m paid by job not hours so can use break as and when needed without penalty by company as long as i get there and deliver on time all is good. so will remember next time to just keep break below 45min if i want to split rather than let it run over(im assuming in theory i could have up to a 44 min break and then still only need the 30 min top up,correct■■?). hey ho guess i HAD to have a newbie mistake otherwise wont become a ‘REAL’ trucker :smiley: :smiley:

correct :smiley:

ROG:

willamy02:

correct :smiley:

im thinking you mean correct on my assumption as well as the REAL trucker comment :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

Evil8Beezle:

willamy02:

If you don’t want the tacho to reset your drive time, then yes quite probably. However I’d only flick it over to Other Work for a minute, and then back to Break,

Now think about what you’ve said because that will also trigger the full break

Why think about it? (That’s not the way this site works! :laughing:)

As I said initially, if you interrupt a break before it gets to 30 mins, it should prevent the tacho recording a 30 minute Break and resetting the drive time.