Been driving a month now. my thoughts and feelings

Hello people, I have now had my class C+E job for just over a month and I must admit it’s the best thing I have done. For the first time in my working life I am actually enjoying the work.

I must admit it feels like you are chucked in at the deep end regarding the work but I have started getting used to it.

Already in this job I have seen a couple of idiots ridiculing me for my reversing.

I have also seen the other end of the spectrum with people coming over and helping me by showing how to do things.

For the first couple of weeks I was actually thinking what have I done as everything seemed to get on top of me but now things are starting to fit into place.

My reversing has also gotten better but not yet perfect.

Also Thankyou to people on here who have given me advice etc.

Here is some advice for you Tom.

Think of people as a draw full of various knobs form Ikea. Some knobs are bigger than others. Some look nicer than others, but ultimately they are still all knobs.

Truck drivers are people. Now and again you will come across some really good folk, remember and associate yourself with this type of driver. As for those who mock your reversing, they had to learn themselves. Proper truck drivers wouldn’t dream of taking the ■■■■, so I really wouldn’t give them a second thought.

eagerbeaver:

Think of people as a draw full of various knobs form Ikea. Some knobs are bigger than others. Some look nicer than others, but ultimately they are still all knobs.

Truck drivers are people. Now and again you will come across some really good folk, remember and associate yourself with this type of driver. As for those who mock your reversing, they had to learn themselves. Proper truck drivers wouldn’t dream of taking the ■■■■, so I really wouldn’t give them a second thought.

Thankyou eagerbeaver that’s a great way of putting it. Thanks again Thomas

try to avoid the miserable negative types,every yard/depot has 1,or more.always moaning about every little aspect of the job,they get on my ■■■■ :imp:
i’ve been driving 37 years,and still enjoy it mostly.been in today,nice little run on overtime :smiley: still get some bad days of course,but try not to dwell on 'em!

montytom:

eagerbeaver:

Thank you eagerbeaver that’s a great way of putting it. Thanks again Thomas

Here’s some more advice for you montytom :wink:

Don’t thank people for calling you a knob :laughing:

Stay out of yard politics. You are happy with the pay and the work - take no interest in what others get or do (or say they get or do). The only one who matters is you.

Well done mate, glad its working out, don’t worry you’ll still be learning every day if you’ve been doing the job for decades, those who think they know it all don’t.
As the Beaver said the ■■■■ takers aint lorry drivers and never will be as long as they have a hole in their arse, there’s lots of 'em but there’s still plenty of decent sticks out there in lorry land, ask your decent stick workmates and the ones you meet on your travels for help or advice and ignore totally the plonkers.

Pleased its working out for you. Like anything, you will get out what you put in. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Good for you mate, glad you’re enjoying it and you’re happy! :smiley:

montytom:
For the first couple of weeks I was actually thinking what have I done as everything seemed to get on top of me but now things are starting to fit into place.

Sounds familiar, :smiley: I nearly jacked the job after the first few weeks, but then it seemed to start clicking into place and I was enjoying what I was doing.

montytom:
My reversing has also gotten better but not yet perfect.

Same here after over 20 years. :laughing:

As above, drivers who laugh are just ■■■■■■ anyone half reasonable will keep their nose out or try and help someone who is clearly struggling.

About a week after passing my test I had a delivery to a farm with a long, tree lined drive - lots of overhanging branches (I drive a semi low loader moving machinery). Attempting to go down here loaded was just asking for damage so at the customer’s request the only thing to do was reverse in and unload in the gateway, a reasonably narrow affair with nice brick pillars either side.

Well it was a blind side off a narrow but busy lane, so tight anyway, with trees and a high verge opposite the gateway threatening to attack the cab and bumpers - and I got frustrated with a guy from our firm, yelling instructions - but he was so far away, all I could really hear in the cab was “eayyyhh ayyhh” and other heavily Yorkshire accented noises. After a few shunts I got it off the road and through the gateway without lolloping anything, and got out to get the chains off.

The farm manager, who I had previously been informed was a Grade-A twonk, says

“Didn’t they teach you reversing at lorry school”

I could have chinned him, but managed just to ignore. I’d allow myself a grin in his direction when he didn’t fancy driving his machine down the big scary slope onto terra firma.

More so than many other jobs, lots of people think they can tell you how to do your job, you’ll soon work out who is worth listening to.

eagerbeaver:

+1,well put

Santa:
Stay out of yard politics. You are happy with the pay and the work - take no interest in what others get or do (or say they get or do). The only one who matters is you.

And that is why we are struggling to get paid more than minimum wage, and have to consider that working 13 hours a day is a minimum. And some employers expect you to break the law whilst you are working.

the nodding donkey:

Santa:

And that is why we are struggling to get paid more than minimum wage, and have to consider that working 13 hours a day is a minimum. And some employers expect you to break the law whilst you are working.

I doubt keeping out of the drivers petty little squabbles about who’s getting the best runs or best trucks has very little to do with low pay and poor conditions.

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Santa:

I doubt keeping out of the drivers petty little squabbles about who’s getting the best runs or best trucks has very little to do with low pay and poor conditions.

Wooosh…

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Santa:

Wooosh…

Yep completely lost on me.

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Wooosh…

I know.

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Wooosh…

[/quote]
I know.
[/quote]
Please enlighten me? :confused:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Wooosh…

I know.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Not much point really. If the phrase “the only one who matters is you” doesn’t make it clear, I’m wasting my time.

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Not much point really. If the phrase “the only one who matters is you” doesn’t make it clear, I’m wasting my time.

Let me see if that made it any clearer?
It would be great if drivers stuck together to get some bargaining muscle to improve conditions in the industry, but that seems unlikely from my experience of the industry or many industries in the UK.

However my understanding of of Santa’s post was to stay out of the petty company politics that you get in all jobs. which really isn’t about improving things but more about petty little jealousy’s.

Of course I may have misunderstood his post as well as yours, but then I’m a simple six fingered country boy.