First job interview

Hi all,

I have my first job interview today for class 2. I’m a little unsure if I should go full suit or just smart casual… ordinarily I’d wear a suit for a job interview, just worried I may give the wrong impression of a lazy office worker. No offence intended to anyone I am currently half office half shop floor and trucking is very different to this

Any guidence would be appropriated

Regards
Dave

Myself personally I would go smart casual with a hi-viz and safety boots in the boot of the car (just in case required for a walkabout in the yard). A suit in my opinion if I was the interviewer would make me wonder if the interviewee (you) had a real grasp of what the job entailed, where as smart casual shows that you are well presented and have thought about your appearance without being impractical.

Think of it this way, if you were asked to demonstrate your ability to open and close curtains, operate a tail lift, or secure a pallet, or a driving assessment in a 8yr old workhorse would it be practical doing so in a suit?

Of course the main reason I personally wouldn’t wear a suit is because I’ve vowed to wear one twice in my life, already worn one once when I got married and the second time I won’t see it anyway as I’ll be no longer of this mortal coil.

At the end of the day though go with whatever makes YOU comfortable and confident, you know you better than anyone on here ever will.

Went smart casual… place was ok multi drop but pallets

Job was advertised for 25000 a year

THEN

He dropped a bomb shell. 8 pound an hour for heaven sake is he for real don’t get me wrong it may suit some but not me

I’m prepared to work 12 + hour shifts but I ain’t doing that just to brake even on my current salary. Even took him out in his clapped out Renault which he was suitably happy with !!

Oh well NEXT

Sorry mate but you have only just passed, what do you expect? :open_mouth:
OK the pay isn’t the best, but do you expect to walk into the best gigs straight away?

I did pallets to start with and it’s not the hardest graft in the world. Yes you will earn more in other Newbie type jobs like food service delivery, but you will really graft to earn that…

It’s your call, but if it was me and it was a start to get experience, I’d take it!
I’m not saying stay there, just get some experience and have a few months under your belt before you look for better…

Could have been worse. He could have offered you minimum wage :laughing:

Don’t worry, there are good firms out there. The trouble is you often don’t KNOW what is a good firm for you until you have a done a bit of this and a bit of that!

Good luck with the hunt.

Evil8Beezle:
OK the pay isn’t the best, but do you expect to walk into the best gigs straight away?

I did pallets to start with and it’s not the hardest graft in the world. Yes you will earn more in other Newbie type jobs like food service delivery, but you will really graft to earn that…

It’s your call, but if it was me and it was a start to get experience, I’d take it!
I’m not saying stay there, just get some experience and have a few months under your belt before you look for better…

Best gigs no! Fairly paid YEA totally . I guess only I know what salary is a liveable salary for my family 8 pound an hour is not that unfortunately

It’s more the fact that the job was advertised at 25k and you’d have to do 60 hour weeks every week to even get close to that figure which as far as I understand would be illegal ■■?

I’ll keep looking I’m sure I can get a little more then 8 pounds per hour

With the use of breaks and poa…Then no 60hrs a week every wek is not illigal…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

£8 not bad for a van driving job :laughing: :wink:

Ergot2005:

Evil8Beezle:

Best gigs no! Fairly paid YEA totally . I guess only I know what salary is a liveable salary for my family 8 pound an hour is not that unfortunately

It’s more the fact that the job was advertised at 25k and you’d have to do 60 hour weeks every week to even get close to that figure which as far as I understand would be illegal ■■?

I’ll keep looking I’m sure I can get a little more then 8 pounds per hour

so how many hours a week did you think you would be working? Your not someone who thinks drivers only work 48 hours a week are you

60-70 hours a week is definately not uncommon for a lot of drivers. I average around 50-55 hours a week and that’s doing supermarket work, they are drivers at work that do a lot more than me!

When you see a job advertised you need to assume that you’ll be near on maxing your hours to get the salary they’re advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think £8 an hour is a bit of an insult too mate.

Yes your new to the game but you may as well do Tesco home delivery which is £8:50 an hour + the odd tip if you talk nice to old Mary Jane.

You also need to ask how many drops your expected to do a day too.

Keep looking mate Christmas is fast approaching & there should be a bit of work soon enough. I’ve two years doing various roles. My first job was aircraft refueller using a 26 ton truck £12 an hour. So it can be done

Did anyone do any research before they decided to enter this game and get their licences? :open_mouth:

Yes 8 quid an hour is below par, but if you missed the fact that this game is long hours which makes up the money, then who’s fault is that?
As I said before, go and deliver for Brakes, Bidvest, P&H etc then. Yes you’ll be on a bit better money, but don’t then come back and complain that you’re being treated like a glorified labourer…

It’s all about effort and reward, and again as I’ve already said, pallets are not that hard!

I’m not having a pop at you pal, but Newbies MUST accept that when they start they have to pick up the dregs of the industry, as those with experience will getting the better work…

P.S. As for general wages in the industry, have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141303

Don’t know where a few of you are getting the feeling i only want to work limited hours, I want to max my hours out every day but i want to do this legal. i thought it was only possible to do 58 hours? avg? the problem i had was working like a donkey for 8 pound an hour. I want to work extra to gain extra not work extra to just keep my head above water. if i had it my way i would be doing tramping work ALL WEEK but of course this is hard to find on class 2 so until i can do tramping i’m more then happy to do long days but the money has got to be right :unamused:

If you maxed your hours out a day it’s either gonna be 9h driving with like 2 days at 10h or a 15h a day shift. You do not want a 15h shift I can assure you that. 4 of them a week one after the other is a killer.

You could go work for PH as stated. That’s 48h over 5 days but having worked there you could hit 48h in 4 days then they might get the arse if you tell them you ain’t working over ya 48h contract lol. It is pure graft though but great driving experience even if only for a few months.

Sorry who I is PH?

I applied for bIdvest last night so hopfully something will come of that

Again I don’t mind working all day just legally ■■?

I’m confused how some of you quote more then 56 hours a week because wouldn’t this take you above the 56hour avg spread thing ■■?

Ergot2005:
Sorry who I is PH? ■■?

PH is palmer & harvey they mostly deliver to garages in roll cages

TheNewBoy:

Ergot2005:
Sorry who I is PH? ■■?

Thank you

TheNewBoy:

Ergot2005:
Sorry who I is PH? ■■?

I’d take that with a pinch of salt. They deliver mainly to One Stops/Cost Cutter. They do have Shell Garages and a few other shops in Garage forecourts and you will have to unload the cages where they want the stuff which can be all over the shop. Supposed to be one place delivery but it never is.

I guess it’s each to their own in regards what their plan is for getting into this game. Personally, having recently got my class 1 back after 20+ years of not using it, I know I can’t be a chooser and would take £8 an hour driving class 2 to build up my experience again. I guess they are using me, but I am also using them.

Like I say though, it’s each to their own.

Ergot2005:
I’m confused how some of you quote more then 56 hours a week because wouldn’t this take you above the 56hour avg spread thing ■■?

Right, WTD says that you should average 48 hours work per week over a reference period. (Often 13 weeks but can vary firm by firm).
The max you can work in a single week is 60 hours. (I think you are confusing your driving hours when referencing 56)

WTD ‘Work’ hours are made up of ‘Driving’ and ‘Other Work’. Breaks and POA do not count towards your WTD hours.

Hope that helps! :smiley:

Best of luck with the Bidvest/P&H route, just appreciate that it’s hard graft and you’ll be shattered…