New Scania Range- launch photo

Had to check the date there, nice one!

I wonder what the cab inside looks like on the bog standard one that Asda will buy?

They all (DAF, Merc. Volvo, Renault, Scania etc etc) look much the same to me these days. Almost identical Euro boxes. Us old lads were privileged to be in the job at a time lorries had character. Folk knew what it was without having to look at the badge on the front. And the old lorries needed a certain amount (a lot) of skill to be able to handle them correctly. OK, I accept that time moves on, things have to change, but I ask, is it change for the better or are modern drivers bored witless with near identical machines doing 56 mph.
I know which I prefer.

grumpy old man:
They all (DAF, Merc. Volvo, Renault, Scania etc etc) look much the same to me these days. Almost identical Euro boxes. Us old lads were privileged to be in the job at a time lorries had character. Folk knew what it was without having to look at the badge on the front. And the old lorries needed a certain amount (a lot) of skill to be able to handle them correctly. OK, I accept that time moves on, things have to change, but I ask, is it change for the better or are modern drivers bored witless with near identical machines doing 56 mph.
I know which I prefer.

got my vote!

IMG_1863.JPG

s

also in grey!

grumpy old man:
I know which I prefer.

amen to that

What the hell have they done, I thought scania were king of the road ?

Why do SCANIA not start making 143 s simples :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

The new one looks like a facelift of the old one.

Compare this with the LB110 launch: while that lorry took many styling cues from the LB76, it was a huge step ahead in terms of appearance and function. Of course, most of the potential for improvement has been exploited since then, but the new one still seems to be shorter than the maximum allowed by the Euro length limit- why?

Regardless of all the logic, the LB110 is the more elegant beast. If Scania wanted to reference their previous models, they could have done worse than making the new one look like an updated LB. IMO.

Edit- what do pro drivers think of the flat-bottomed steering wheel? I would hate it- imagine trying to maneouvre in a tight space in a hurry, and not knowing when you are about to grab a handful of fresh air.

Jenson:
What the hell have they done, I thought scania were king of the road ?

More like ‘King of the toilet block’ , Although i’d like to see one ‘In-the-flesh’ so to speak before i pass judgement…

This one looks awful, they will probably look better with a sun visor and a good paint job.

grumpy old man:
I know which I prefer.

GOM as you say things have moved on a pace but if you have not tried a new todays model try and have ago somewhere but be prepared to be amazed. We run Scania’s today and they have no gear sticks so that’s me out the picture, when I was driving in the 70’s on always had the window ajar listening all the time to the truck. Was I alone in this trait or where any of you others on here have an ear to an open window while driving, plus the fresh air kept you a bit more alert at the wheel

Fair comment but, I have been in a new Volvo,(not moving)and I have been chauffeured in a big loaded new Scania and I’ve got to say I didn’t like it even a little bit. Sprung seats bouncing up and down, and the way the cab was rolling about on it’s suspension I thought it was about to fall off. The gearbox (auto?) god knows what it was doing, the driver was totally non plussed, he just didn’t care and was happy to leave the Scania to ‘do it’s thing’.
I’m old school, I need to ‘feel’ the motor, I need to know exactly what it’s doing and when it’s doing it and most of all I need to be in charge, I’ll tell it what to do and when to do it . :smiley:
That bloody bouncing cab and seats…hell, I feared for my safety. :open_mouth:
And that interior shot of the drivers position on the new range, for my money there’s too much equipment too close for comfort there, claustrophobic even, have a bump in one of those and too much can trap a driver too easily. Sure, all looks very nice and modern but it’s a working lorry, not a luxury car
My eldest lad (gods gift to Volvo Truck and Bus, so he thinks :unamused: ) thinks I’m mad, “you’re living in the horse and cart world dad” …but the portly fellow (his mother doesn’t like me calling him a fa* bar steward) can’t tie a dolly :smiley:

Jönköping today.

Danne

Dirty Dan:
Jönköping today.

Danne

Must admit that one looks a lot better.

Just seems like the only way to modernise a cab these days is to just sweep the lines up the doors upwards.

In the vain hope that we’ll accept that as F1 style aerodynamics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk