Old HGV Drivers

What age is the oldest driver you know? I work with a 75 year old and he’s an excellent driver, only does local now for understandable reasons but I couldn’t help but admire it when I saw him jacking it in to a fairly tight space the blindside last week. He’d put a lot of youngsters to shame. :smiley:

That Pension Shame forces many to keep working.

Tris:
What age is the oldest driver you know? I work with a 75 year old and he’s an excellent driver, only does local now for understandable reasons but I couldn’t help but admire it when I saw him jacking it in to a fairly tight space the blindside last week. He’d put a lot of youngsters to shame. :smiley:

Of course he would put youngsters to shame, he will have been doing it before they, and maybe their dads were born.

I let my licence lapse

Just passed 69 a week ago & am thinking of renewing my licence
Getting fed up with sitting behind a desk

IT literate so can probably hack the tacho/limiter etc. just like analog & paper :slight_smile:

My dad is 79 in September and still tramping

The oldest I have had attend a DCPC course is 84. Really nice bloke with lots of stories to tell and always had a little gathering around at break time as he told his tales of driving in far off lands. Definitely what you would describe as ‘old school’ - didn’t like the rules and regulations we have today.

He had retired but was bored so was going back on containers … easy work he said :wink: He reckoned DVLA usually have his licence longer than he does because of the annual medicals and length of time it takes them to process it each year :unamused: As soon as he gets it back - it’s time to start the process again.

Good on him … :smiley:

I’m 73 in a couple of months and have been doing two night trunks a week since I “Retired” at age 60.
I have had no trouble passing my D4 every year and I am feeling well enough to pass again this time around.
Apart from type 2 diet controlled diabetes, I’m not on ANY medication, and this last couple of years I’ve had cataracts replaced and laser treatment so I no longer need spectacles.
It’s only working that keeps me alive!

bestbooties:

I think this is actually quite true. I’ve known many blokes ‘retire’ only to either kick the bucket a few years later; or become so bored an depressed that they have a horrible time.

working, or having a keen hobby, I think keeps the mind and body active.

I know a driver who has just turned 77…
he used to have his own haulage business.
he now does a couple of shifts a week.
he keeps saying he isn’t gonna bother “next year”
but he is as fit as a butchers dog, and just takes it in his stride.

Tony Bradfield retired about a year ago, 83 and was still doing two Morocco’s a month as an O/D, been doing that for nearly twenty years, now that takes some beating.

Ossie

el_presidente:

bestbooties:

I think this is actually quite true. I’ve known many blokes ‘retire’ only to either kick the bucket a few years later; or become so bored an depressed that they have a horrible time.

working, or having a keen hobby, I think keeps the mind and body active.

Possibly true with some but certainly not all. I have several friends who are happily retired and a couple who are miserable.
I honestly think a lot of truck drivers do not retire because they cannot afford to which is a great shame.
All boils down to having enough money to lead a comfortable lifestyle and having plenty to keep you busy.
Luckily I am in that category and have been almost fully retired for 4 years and loving every minute of it.

Live to work or work to live?

had an older chap of 74 work for me last year - flew through his assessment and was another if I sit at home too long the wife finds me jobs/this pays for my holiday (only done 2/3 days a week).

We have 8 past retirement 4 over 70 and a couple of them still tramp crazy ■■■■■■■■