Anti Lorry Protest In Burford

I haven’t seen it myself but there is talk over the cb today that Burford residents are hassling lorry drivers as they pass through. Drivers have had abuse their way, the usual NIMBY lectures whilst sat at traffic lights and are having their photos taken. As far as I know the drivers have simply wound up their windows and ignored the NIMBYs which seems to be annoying them even more.
I’m assuming that the drivers of large coaches dropping off tourists are being given the same levels of grief, as are drivers delivering to the shops and businesses?

drop a few migrants/invaders off there…give them something worth moaning about

Is that Jeremy Clarkson and the rest of the Cotswold Set there?
Taking photos of lorries on a road which has no weight or width restrictions.
Tory pricks.

I love arguments with NIMBYs. Shame I go nowhere near there.

“Lorries shouldn’t be here.”

“No problem. You won’t want the ■■■ I’m delivering to the shop in the town then?”

“It should be delivered by van.”

“Fine. It’ll take 27 vans to carry my load and then you’ll be complaining that the town is stuffed with transits.”

Apparently there were signs up warning of the protest as you come into Burford on the A361 and A424 saying things like “No lorries” “Use Oxfordshire Freight Map.”
I’ve downloaded this freight map but it’s not well known unless you search for it online (google Oxfordshire Freight Partnership). Gloucestershire do one too.
The residents whinge about air quality and congestion, the congestion wouldn’t be there if dozy tourists didn’t constantly press the crossing button then blindly walk out without waiting or cross once the green man’s gone out. Bloody coaches blocking up the streets so wobbly tourists can be ripped off in the shops make it worse also.

last year was driving through amesbury to deliver to b&m store,slowed down in traffic some old geezer told me to f**k off out of their town :open_mouth: is there any bloody need for that.

Had it in Box, years ago. Some coffin dodger started whingeing at me, so I asked him “Do you really think that I want to struggle driving in your crappy little ■■■■■■■■■■ And happily drove away from his crappy little ■■■■■■■■■
Perhaps we should organise an anti Burford protest in lorries?

Sure it’s Burford, Oxfordshire…? I’ve read that the Burford, Shropshire is having issues with road safety etc…

ludlowadvertiser.co.uk/news/ … ford_road/

That said, I used to live in the Oxfordshire Burford. There has been local pressure for many years to restrict the weight limit on the high street and divert HGV’s via the A40 - which would mean going via Northleach. That plan was in the ‘local plan’ from the distrct council until 2010 - got kicked into the long grass due to budget constraints.

It’s is on the agenda though, but expected to be rolled out post 2020.

Clarkson sold up a few years ago - after his divorce. He was living in Chipping Norton though. Rupert Murdoch’s daughter and husnabd live in Burford though… Will probably be all over the tabloids soon…

:unamused:

El Presidente is correct, the local council wanted to downgrade the A424 Stow Road to B status. The A40, A429 route to Stow is actually a nice drive, made a lot better with the increase in HGV speed limit. What a weight limit will screw up is the local businesses and farms on the A424 and A361. Matthews Flour Mill at Shipton, Hickmans Landscapes at Fulbrook, Groves Builders Yard at Milton plus the local pubs not forgetting the housing developments on the old Raf Rissington site. Charlbury is a PITA to negotiate if you don’t know the area (one way systems, weight limits, narrow town centre and a weight limit due to the weak bridge at Charlbury station) and Chipping Norton keeps pushing for a lorry ban through the centre on the A44 (despite the fact it’s a well used route for fruit and veg lorries from Evesham).
Talking of the A44, one way to dodge Chipping Norton is (approaching from Moreton In Marsh) at the A436 Addlestrop turn (by the Greedy Goose pub), turn left juat past the pub. Keep going past Smiths’ Rollright quarry, past the Rollright Stones and then turn right at the crossroads onto the A3400. Follow that upto the A44/A361 junction at Chapel House garage and either left for Banbury or straight over towards Enstone for Oxford.

Don’t know what it is about all these ‘picturesque’ places that makes knobheads want to buy a house there.

Own Account Driver:
Don’t know what it is about all these ‘picturesque’ places that makes knobheads want to buy a house there.

I don’t see what is so great about Burford, a load of old houses down a hill to a bridge with traffic lights on it.
They claim they don’t want a bypass because it would damage the Windrush Valley, when the real reason is they actually like the passing traffic. Burford was always just a stopping place en route to soemwhere else, hence why nobody bothered to build a railway to it.

The other week I had my then-regular run to Worcester and was running early so I took the A40 towards Oxford instead of going up the M40 and down the M5. When I got to the A44 junction I saw the sign recommending that trucks use the A40 to get to Evesham, so I did. I was expecting to use the A424 to get to Stow but no, the signs directed me all the way to Northleach by which point the sat-nav had calculated it was quicker to go out to the M5 and up. I came back via the A44 and apart from through Moreton in Marsh and Chipping Norton (and through the roadworks at Woodstock), it was a pretty good road. How on earth a truck ban at Chipping Norton would be workable I’ve no idea, unless they build a bypass.

The idea to widen the road by the Rollright Stones was put about a few years ago but nothing was done. Cheaper to just listen to a few NIMBYs