HGV Specific speed cameras?

Morning all. I was wondering if anyone has come across anything like this at all? As we all know the national speed limit on a single carriageway road for an HGV is 40 mph, but 60 mph for a car. But if you were to go past this camera at 50, would the camera go off?

Basically, are there speed cameras that can tell between an HGV and a car?

Toonarmy:
Morning all. I was wondering if anyone has come across anything like this at all? As we all know the national speed limit on a single carriageway road for an HGV is 40 mph, but 60 mph for a car. But if you were to go past this camera at 50, would the camera go off?

Basically, are there speed cameras that can tell between an HGV and a car?

The ANPR ones can - they know what each vehicle is including vans etcs
Cannot determine ones with or without trailers though

I bet come April 6 this year many are going to be getting unenforceable NIPs for doing 50 in NSLs

Yes, and have been able to for quite a long time, the ones on the the A1 s/c stretches above Newcastle and the ones on the A15 South of Scunthorpe, they have been catching naughty truck drivers long before ANPR equipped cameras were invented.

Yes they do somehow. I got caught by one at ■■■■■■ on the A420 by the Land Rover dealer. Was about 20 years ago.

Yes they can. Clever people those camera manufacturers

Yes they can differentiate between vehicle types. The VOSA testing site at Sleaford weighs vehicles prior to them being stopped and directed into the site. They use a strip in the road prior to the testing station.

Similar technology is used with cameras to tell the difference between vehicle types.

Ive been done for a car and trailer at 71 when limit was 60 on a DC by a fixed Gatso so the tech definitely exists

When my son was driving a high cube 7.5, he went through the speed camera near to the Belfry at 48 mph and he saw the camera flash and was worried for a bit, but he heard nothing about it.

bestbooties:
When my son was driving a high cube 7.5, he went through the speed camera near to the Belfry at 48 mph and he saw the camera flash and was worried for a bit, but he heard nothing about it.

i got done by that camera doing 46 mph,and it is one of those cameras that knows the difference between hgv and cars
maybe 7.5 tonne can do more than 40 on a single carriage way ,i dont know

double post

7.5 tonner ok for 50 on single carriageway, i thought I had done the same but googled for the answer.

Yes some of them can tell the difference. They can tell by how much of the signal they send out is bounced back to them to determine the speed. Ie a truck will sent a lot more back than a car

As said, Gatso cameras have different trigger speeds for large and small vehicles by how of the radar they reflect.
This probably causes some false positives, eg coaches or 7.5t, but they would be discarded by the person issuing the NIPs.

My brother got caught by the now removed camera on the A9 at Blair Atholl when towing a box trailer at 60 mph (and overtaking a shopping trolley doing 40) , but he had been through the camera at the same speed with only the Transit and didn’t get flashed. So the trailer must have made it large enough to have the lower trigger speed.

They measure the height of the vehicle as I found to my cost!

The gatso cameras are able to measure the length of the vehicle passing and are then able to set the limit for that size vehicle.

098Joe:
Yes they do somehow. I got caught by one at ■■■■■■ on the A420 by the Land Rover dealer. Was about 20 years ago.

that gets pulled down alot :laughing: and set on fire! :grimacing: my best mate lives around the corner at ■■■■■■ ( I was in the Falklands with him in 1982! ) :sunglasses: I’m sure his Land Rover and chains had something to do with it! :smiley:

When going up to Burton-upon-Trent on a PalletForce night run, I was warned that the camera on the A446 just after leaving the M42 for Lichfield, avoiding the M6 Toll, is designed to trap trucks doing over 40.

Bking:
They measure the height of the vehicle as I found to my cost!

Some do, not all. The Gatso ones do have different speed triggers on them. I was following a Pollocks wagon pulling one of our trailers on the way to work up the A15, he goes through one of the cameras at 50, flash, flash goes the camera.

I don’t understand some people sometimes :unamused: :unamused: This Country/Governments obsession with speed :question: :question:

Just do the bloody speed limit for your vehicle and relax!!

ROG:
I bet come April 6 this year many are going to be getting unenforceable NIPs for doing 50 in NSLs

I doubt it. Even if the equipment isn’t updated immediately it will create positive results on the system but will still require someone to check and issue NIPs.