So what do i expect?

Hey all!
Just a few questions really from the people who have been there done that.
im 23 been driving a car since i was 17 but never drove anything over 3500kg van on the road.
I had a assessment and was told i would need 4 days, 4 hours a day and a test on the 5th day for category c. Is this about right? I no its based on you personally just interested if this was about right for someone of my little experience!

Secondly i quickly realised driving hgv is nothing really like a car! But is there any tips i should be trying to do in my day to day driving that would help me in the lessons/test?

That’s it for now i am sure there will be many more!
Thanks guys and gals

I am 26 and was in exactly same position as you.
I did my training and test exactly as they’ve recommended you do yours.
as for tips just listen to your trainer!
Watch out for road signs and road markings.

Cheers!
Just good to know i am hopefully on the right track don’t want to get ripped but don’t want too short of time your not actually ready for the test!

I’m on my 2nd day of training now and as said listen to the trainer and mirrors mirrors mirrors

Your quote is around the normal average. If you’re in doubt, simply book another assessment somewhere else.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Practice lots of mirror checks, in the test they look for that.
Anticipate other road users and allow for their mistakes.
Plan ahead on roundabouts by selecting the correct lane in good time.
Use the size of the vehicle for defensive driving.
You will get cars coming up behind you when you are turning.
They are then in your blind spot, so block them off.
Pretend you are carrying livestock, steady braking in case they fall over, my instructor mentioned this, it works well.
Thorough checks of the vehicle before taking it on the road.
Never rely on anyone saying your load is secure, always check it yourself.
At delivery places, expect them to be rude and ignorant.
Bite your tongue, they will soon be on the phone to your boss ,saying you abused them by twisting the truth.
A briefcase is handy to store paperwork and a clip board to keep delivery notes tidy.
Research and remember the tachograph rules, it is a mine field.
Buy a kitchen timer to record driving hours, they cost a tenner from cooking or hardware
Shops, truckstops sell them.

Cheers all :slight_smile: its about right then. Just thought i would see if there was anything i could do whilst driving the car before the hgv lessons start, least if i can get some routine going at islands etc it might help :slight_smile:

edy:
Secondly i quickly realised driving hgv is nothing really like a car! But is there any tips i should be trying to do in my day to day driving that would help me in the lessons/test?

Check out the link in my signature below cos it has tips for just that

OP you’re in the same boat as me. I am 23 too. I have done all my theory stuff and the case study, just need to do the practical side now. I have a 4 week notice period at work, which has been brought up in another thread. My plan is to do my Class 2. Apply for Class 2 jobs (non agency), while still working, then do my Class 1, and resign from my job and take the leap of faith into whatever work I can get, agency included. I’d be willing to do tramping/nights/days/ anything, so hopefully it shouldn’t be TOO difficult. But I am earning £200 a week now, so even without getting a ton of work, this shouldn’t be unrealistic to earn as an LGV driver.

Just don’t expect everyone to come rushing at you offering you mega bucks and a job.
Some people have been lucky but it can take time to get that foot on the ladder

Cheers all the link was exactly what i was after i know the car is not like the truck but at least i can have some idea of what is expected. Lessons are booked for the 16th so with any luck!!

Id agree getting a job anywhere is difficult especially being what they would consider a newbie when employers can pick and choose especially with agency drivers about i would guess. So it is a risky move, but saying that you never know if you dont try! Hope it works out for ya!

Its a big step up, I had only had my car license less than two years before I got my Class 2. A good tip is a to plan far ahead, losing forward momentum in a truck, especially a manual is just plain annoying. If you see something slow moving in front of you, quick check of the mirrors then over your shoulder (never, ever forgot to look into your blind spot, if an examiner sees you make an maneuver without checking over your shoulder, INSTA-FAIL!) once its safe to move do so, don’t hang about because people are idiots and will do anything not to be behind a truck.

cufcmike:
OP you’re in the same boat as me. I am 23 too. I have done all my theory stuff and the case study, just need to do the practical side now. I have a 4 week notice period at work, which has been brought up in another thread. My plan is to do my Class 2. Apply for Class 2 jobs (non agency), while still working, then do my Class 1, and resign from my job and take the leap of faith into whatever work I can get, agency included. I’d be willing to do tramping/nights/days/ anything, so hopefully it shouldn’t be TOO difficult. But I am earning £200 a week now, so even without getting a ton of work, this shouldn’t be unrealistic to earn as an LGV driver.

I’m on almost £400 and that is pretty much max hours.