Having a bit of a bad day

Ooops

northdevonjournal.co.uk/PHOT … z3MG5dYStz

that’s a road :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

DJC:

It is down them parts :wink:

The lorry is believed to come from M. Way and sons, from South Molton… :unamused:

THAT BE BECAUSE IT SAYS SO ON THE CAB… you numb skulls…

Local journalists he?

Mind you, local driver too… Oops…

Great comment from somebody who can’t read.

davephipps65 | December 18 2014, 6:31PM

I use to drive buses through Parracombe and the same place where the artic lorry got stuck was very tight for any vehicle over 40 feet long so what was this driver trying to do. It is obvious that the driver was heading in the direction of the Blackmore Gate end of the village and should of came in that end if he was having to deliver something Lynton end of the village he should of came in that end but you would not try to come in one end and out the other it was never going to happen with an artic lorry.

This was in the article.

A resident said he missed a turning to a local farm and ended up driving through the centre of Parracombe.

Probably thought he’d find somewhere to turn round when he missed the farm and just got in more of a pickle, I used to go to a farm down that way, the first time I went there I asked the only person I could find how to get there, it was an old lady who sent me down the most unlikely looking lane, but I later found out had I taken what look the obvious route I would have never got round the corner.

My biggest fears of HGV driving are
3 - Trailer coming loose (which is why I double check all coupling stages)
2 - Hitting something while reversing (Which is why im in and out of the cab umpteen times every 2 feet)
and number one
Getting stuck in a tight spot like this. Im so paranoid I take big diversions if a road even looks too narrow.
I agree with the other poster who reckons he shot past his turn and was hoping to get a spot to turn around

I was in Devon a couple of weeks ago delivering to a Jeremy Scott’s Farm at Ruggs Hill, near Brompton Regis, Dulverton, followed the Satnav along the A361 & came up to Brompton from the south & all the roads to my right said unsuitable for HGV’s, I kept driving & came across an Open Reach Man (looking for a signal) he checked his lappy & told me to carry on along the B2224 then turn right towards reservoir, all the right turns had No HGV signs on them so I didn’t go down them, eventually I came to one without a sign & deduced “that was the one” WRONG ! I Squeezed down this road (Blagden Lane) that seemed to turn into a farm track & had nowhere to turn, so I kept going slowly, hoping & praying that nothing would come the other way.
Phew ! I got to the end & turned left & there was Postman Pat, he looked at the wagon & stated “you shouldn’t have come that way drive” !
“I know” I said “but there was no warning like all the other roads” (Bloody Devon)

Why don’t these Bloody Farms address’s include a few basic directions from the nearest main road ■■?

It looks like the tarmac was laid by our tree chopping nomadic friends.
Doesn’t look stuck deep enough to damage the water mains as the article said, unless that stop ■■■■/water meter behind the wheel got churned up.

I spend 90% of my working day delivering plant in Devon. Reckon I get plenty of exercise walking up lanes to check what they’re like before I drive up them. My very favourite thing is when the sales rep from the company I’m contracted to drives to the customer in his 4x4 and tells them “Yeah that’s fine we can get an artic in here no problems”. Bloody idiot.

The-Snowman:
Getting stuck in a tight spot like this. Im so paranoid I take big diversions if a road even looks too narrow.
I agree with the other poster who reckons he shot past his turn and was hoping to get a spot to turn around

Try a bit of agricultural or forestry work, you’ll soon get over your paranoia or have a nervous breakdown in the process. :laughing:

dreamingofoz:
Reckon I get plenty of exercise walking up lanes to check what they’re like before I drive up them.

Totally agree with this, doing a bit of on foot recon can save loads of hassle. :smiley:

DJC:

About right for Devon and Cornwall, try palletised delivery s in this area

dont think a bus driver is in any position to pass judgement mind.

muckles:

The-Snowman:

Try a bit of agricultural or forestry work, you’ll soon get over your paranoia or have a nervous breakdown in the process. :laughing:

I must agree.
Iv been doing farming. Bulk and wagon n drag straw work for the past 6 months, ■■ me some of the lanes you drive in to pick loads up from I would worry driving a car down.

Sometimes I get directions like the first road after the road about.
You look down the road and it’s a single track farm track going as far as the eyes can see stretching across the fens.
Then you think should I go for it or not lol.

Or driving about all these single track roads around the fens Iv been in a couple of pickles. None quits as bad as that thou.

The best words to hear is
yeah you get a arctic up there no problem :frowning:
Or yeah there’s plenty space to get turned. Forgot to say In a wet field. end up sinkin up to the axles. Lost count how many times Iv been dragged out of places with a tractor.
Ooo the joys lol

When I was a bit Green (a couple of weeks ago, or maybe 15 years ago) I collected 20 pallets of Turf from a field, I pulled onto the field (mid summer/dry) they loaded me, I netted & roped the load, then proceeded to do a 180 turn back to the entrance, half way round the trailer dug in up to the axles, we had to unload the lot, get pulled out of the hole I’d created & reload/re net/re rope the load !
Big lesson learnt that day !!!