Advice please!!

hi all,

Iv recently been working at fowler welch (in the office and going out with drivers), while there the manager said to me that if I had a class 1 license, they would give me a full time job as a lorry driver,:shock: he is aware of my age, and he guaranteed a driving job, even though I’m only 19 this year, basically I’m unsure about this, even though he guaranteed a job, does anyone think there is a possibility of someone my age being taken on as a driver? Because I don’t want to be spending all the money to do the training courses, only for fowler welch to turn round and say they can’t give me a job because of age. Lorry driving will be my career, but wasn’t planning on doing the training until i was a bit older. help would be appreciated, Thanks

If your unsure why don’t you ask him if he would put the offer in an official letter that way if he’s serious giving you a letter shouldn’t be a problem.

jusholmes:
If your unsure why don’t you ask him if he would put the offer in an official letter that way if he’s serious giving you a letter shouldn’t be a problem.

Good idea!! hadn’t thought of that, thanks

Do you have class 2 yet? If not, show willing, save up and get that yourself. That is a lot more hassle.
Then class2 to class 1 is only one test away, and the company might even pay for that if you ask on a good day!

I would advise to take your training now, think of it as an investment.

I agree your age may go against you but at least you would have your licences.

If I had a pound for every driver I have trained that says “I wish I had done this years ago” I could have a good holiday.

Paul :smiley:

th2013:
Do you have class 2 yet? If not, show willing, save up and get that yourself. That is a lot more hassle.
Then class2 to class 1 is only one test away, and the company might even pay for that if you ask on a good day!

No I don’t have class 2 yet, I did ask them about training and funding but they don’t do it unfortunately

elmet training:

If I had a pound for every driver I have trained that says “I wish I had done this years ago” I could have a good holiday.

Yes I’m thinking of doing it now, Iv been looking at prices and reviews on training companies

Michaelcap:

elmet training:

Yes I’m thinking of doing it now, Iv been looking at prices and reviews on training companies

Please keep away from the BROKERS!

It makes sense to get the offer firmed up to make sure it wasn’t a chuckaway comment. Before you arrange training, visit your chosen trainer and stay away from brokers.

The only exception to visiting before your book is to go for rock solid recommendation.

Any queries, fire away.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just go ahead and do it, your planning on doing it at some stage anyway so this way even if you dont get a chance to drive now you will be able to in the future!. Im 19 and have my class 2 training next week. Good luck with it all if you decide to do it now.

Peter Smythe:
It makes sense to get the offer firmed up to make sure it wasn’t a chuckaway comment. Before you arrange training, visit your chosen trainer and stay away from brokers.

The only exception to visiting before your book is to go for rock solid recommendation.

Any queries, fire away.

yes will do, thanks for the advice!

halfers:
Just go ahead and do it, your planning on doing it at some stage anyway so this way even if you dont get a chance to drive now you will be able to in the future!. Im 19 and have my class 2 training next week. Good luck with it all if you decide to do it now.

Yeah that’s right, good luck with your training!!

I have had my class two for 27 years and other than a short army stint and 11 years TA I have not used it until the last year or so (was a bus driver for many moons) but a medical to get the entitlement back and I am on more money than a good few class 1 drivers and loving my job, a job I never thought or had any intention of doing…well weird, :wink: :laughing:
An investment and a feather in you cap (think CV) for now and the future.

Depends where you live & which Fowler Welch dept you at

But you can do your licence at 18 now btw so why not go for it as there are some your age driving them

As said stay away form brokers & go visit local companies speak to the trainers etc before parting with any money

animal:
Depends where you live & which Fowler Welch dept you at

But you can do your licence at 18 now btw so why not go for it as there are some your age driving them

As said stay away form brokers & go visit local companies speak to the trainers etc before parting with any money

Its the Fowler Welch in Spalding, im looking at getting it booked now with a local training company. Thanks for help!

Have at least 2 assessments and compare the difference. The quality of vehicle and instructor varies a great deal so take care.