illegal immigrants

Hi all ill start off by saying I’ve never done any euro work before always drove UK only so it might sound stupid to some of you but I was watching a tv programme on euro drivers and when they were driving back to UK from Belgium and France I was shocked at what lengths the illegal immigrants would go to to get in or on our trucks now one of the drivers said on his first ever run euro driving he got caught with 18 people in his trailer when he got back to the uk and was fined £18,000 he says he did everything possible to ensure there was no one and he said he alerted the french border control that he thought someone had broken into his trailer but they told him to just carry on… now my question to you guys is… how likely is this story to be true ? I don’t think it’s fair that IF he took all precautions to fine him £18,000 or do you think it’s bull ■■■■ and hes been negligent ? It’s seriously put me off euro work !

as long as you have a lock and document checking the trailer regulary you won’t get fined. You can even take pictures if you’re really paranoid. I sometimes used to take a curtain side 7.5t to germany and thats all I ever used to do.

maga:
as long as you have a lock and document checking the trailer regulary you won’t get fined. You can even take pictures if you’re really paranoid. I sometimes used to take a curtain side 7.5t to germany and thats all I ever used to do.

That’s the theory at least, I mate of mine still got fined even though he had documented proof and the trl was sealed .And it was him who reported it to the police, once it became apparrent he had tallibahn onboard ( once they started banging on the sides of the trailer,within a few hrs of entering blighty) ok he didn’t get fined the full £1000/£2000 per body found, but he still got fined by UKBA not sure if the company also where fined for it,

tommy t:

maga:

That’s the theory at least, I mate of mine still got fined even though he had documented proof and the trl was sealed .And it was him who reported it to the police, once it became apparrent he had tallibahn onboard ( once they started banging on the sides of the trailer,within a few hrs of entering blighty) ok he didn’t get fined the full £1000/£2000 per body found, but he still got fined by UKBA not sure if the company also where fined for it,

Ok thank you so Even if you are fully cooperative and do everything correctly there is still the chance of a heavy fine i think it’s disgraceful all where doing is trying to make a living and there stinging us again if there’s negligence then I understand but otherwise I carnt see why drivers go through this added stress

samstone90:

tommy t:

maga:

Ok thank you so Even if you are fully cooperative and do everything correctly there is still the chance of a heavy fine i think it’s disgraceful all where doing is trying to make a living and there stinging us again if there’s negligence then I understand but otherwise I carnt see why drivers go through this added stress

Well the UKBC have to find the funds to house them once they’re here somehow.
Fining the driver that bought them in seems fair :smiling_imp:

If anyone (as your mate did) thinks they may have illegals on board, DO NOT let the French checkers tell you you’re clear. Demand that they open your trailer and do a proper Mk1 Eyeball check.
Like everyone else, they want to do the minimum amount of work possible, so they’ll try and fob you off. Don’t let them.
Once you pass the UKBC Passport control at Calais dock, you are technically in the UK, even although you are still within France. If you tell the UKBC you think you have illegals, they do an eyeball check and you have, you are very likely to be fined.

My mate didn’t have a clue he had talibahn in the trl, until they started banging like mad on the M6 in staffs, near to the delivery address, but i know what he would do should there be a next time, just open the back door and let them disappear instead of phoning plod

As for using the money from fines to pay to house,clothe &feed them, this is wrong, they should be using that money to repatriate them, and if they have no id (because they have destroyed it) to exploit a loophole in the current rules, that prevents them being deported, then the rules need changing , and the money would be better spent on deporting them from our shores, and improving detection methods at our ports , and where a driver has demonstated that they have taken reasonable steps to prevent their vehilces getting infested with unwanted guests the current system of FPN’s ect needs changing so they are not penalised for something that they are unable to prevent, also the french government need to take more responsibilty and start arresting tallibahn they find and deporting them to places like spain,italy bulgeria greece,poland ect, all are safe countries all are in the EU they should have no right to claim asylum here,#

failing all that our government need to change the current legislation so there is no free health care or benefits for them, like in other EU member states they get very little or nothing, if they did that which would stop a hell of a lot of them making a beeline for blighty ,that would be a start

tommy t:
My mate didn’t have a clue he had talibahn in the trl, until they started banging like mad on the M6 in staffs, near to the delivery address, but i know what he would do should there be a next time, just open the back door and let them disappear instead of phoning plod

As for using the money from fines to pay to house,clothe &feed them, this is wrong, they should be using that money to repatriate them, and if they have no id (because they have destroyed it) to exploit a loophole in the current rules, that prevents them being deported, then the rules need changing , and the money would be better spent on deporting them from our shores, and improving detection methods at our ports , and where a driver has demonstated that they have taken reasonable steps to prevent their vehilces getting infested with unwanted guests the current system of FPN’s ect needs changing so they are not penalised for something that they are unable to prevent, also the french government need to take more responsibilty and start arresting tallibahn they find and deporting them to places like spain,italy bulgeria greece,poland ect, all are safe countries all are in the EU they should have no right to claim asylum here,#

failing all that our government need to change the current legislation so there is no free health care or benefits for them, like in other EU member states they get very little or nothing, if they did that which would stop a hell of a lot of them making a beeline for blighty ,that would be a start

Thank you for the post… so it is the government that need to change the rules drivers are being wrongly fined in my opinion if your doing your job correctly and to the best of your ability you shouldn’t be prosecuted for it… its a shame because i really fancied a blast at some euro work but sod it now it’s not worth the hassle and financially it’s a gamble when you can be fined like 50% + of your annual income in one hit that would ■■■■■■■ me it’s just not worth it… and the worse part is it might not Even be your fault that’s just so wrong

Yes it’s very wrong, that drivers always face a financial penalty.But their argument is that they have to deter drivers from taking part in people trafficking , For me it’s how that revenue gets spent , currently it probably gets spent on mollycoddling them instead of deporting them, that equally boils my ■■■■

And yes a big part of why Britain is the country of choice for many of them is because secretly governments really want this country flooded with them, for their own political agendas Because if they had at any time ever been serious about clamping down on the flood of people comming here something would of been done to stop that flow by now , But still they can access our NHS services for free,jump the que’s for social housing and be eligable for state handouts ,
Even if they are put in a detention centre they are better off than they where at the camps in calais ,if all this was stopped the number of them comming here would dwindle within weeks

Be very careful on the ferry car deck, this is where other drivers transfer them from their motor to yours while your up top, it happens.

Ossie

OssieD:
Be very careful on the ferry car deck, this is where other drivers transfer them from their motor to yours while your up top, it happens.

Ossie

We suspect that happened to my dad many years ago on the Zeebrugge-Hull ferry (I think). He got a clean bill of health upon having the trailer checked in Zeebrugge docks and when he went down to his truck in the morning on arrival in Hull he noticed something amiss and it soon became apparent that X number of Sri Lankans were in the trailer. Nothing happened to him though, once they found out he was a German citizen and thus harder to shaft than a British driver all threats of prosecution stopped (make of that what you will!).
Unfortunately no amount of being careful will do you any good in those situations when you’re compelled by law to be upstairs and away from your vehicle, only to come back down to it later and unwittingly have unwelcome guests onboard.