Wincanton (Sainsburys) Charlton

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this place?
I’m not looking for any info regarding pay conditions as I have some rough idea what they are, I’m after info about how the daily work looks like, what are the advantages of working there and disadvantages, what are the major issues.
I know it is mostly class 2 work delivering to stores around London.
PM me if you prefer to keep it off the main board, please.

Thanks

I don’t have direct experience of Charlton but have worked at Wincanton Sainbury’s Greenford nee Feltham on shop delivery and I imagine procedures are pretty similar.

Expect lots of paperwork and H+S stuff. Cones out/red strap across the back whenever tail lift in operation, no more than 2 cages on the tail lift at a time etc.
Usually one drop loaded on a vehicle, occasionally 2 if an artic. Typically deliver to 3 stores per shift and a different vehicle for every drop so lots of cab hopping. Re-fuel every vehicle on return and lots of filling in check sheets.

You are given a “risk assessment” with each drop which is a map of the route you must take. They use Isotrak system though dunno if same at Charlton. Nothing to it, just log on and go

I listened to a bloke in the driver’s room who was just back from a disciplinary meeting. A vehicle was blocking his spot on arrival at shop so he went past, got turned around and came back. Spoke to the manager who got the car moved and he proceeded to tip. A cage fell over in the process. He was had up for “not parking as instructed by the risk assessment”. He claimed the cage had been overloaded and top heavy and was told he was in breach of health and safety for attempting to move a cage which he considered too heavy. It was his responsibility to decant some of the contents into an empty cage.

On the plus side its pretty easy work. You’re not expected to get off the back of the vehicle, just roll the cages out and send em down.

I didn’t like it personally but horses for courses and all that.

Looooo:
I don’t have direct experience of Charlton but have worked at Wincanton Sainbury’s Greenford nee Feltham on shop delivery and I imagine procedures are pretty similar.

Expect lots of paperwork and H+S stuff. Cones out/red strap across the back whenever tail lift in operation, no more than 2 cages on the tail lift at a time etc.
Usually one drop loaded on a vehicle, occasionally 2 if an artic. Typically deliver to 3 stores per shift and a different vehicle for every drop so lots of cab hopping. Re-fuel every vehicle on return and lots of filling in check sheets.

You are given a “risk assessment” with each drop which is a map of the route you must take. They use Isotrak system though dunno if same at Charlton. Nothing to it, just log on and go

I listened to a bloke in the driver’s room who was just back from a disciplinary meeting. A vehicle was blocking his spot on arrival at shop so he went past, got turned around and came back. Spoke to the manager who got the car moved and he proceeded to tip. A cage fell over in the process. He was had up for “not parking as instructed by the risk assessment”. He claimed the cage had been overloaded and top heavy and was told he was in breach of health and safety for attempting to move a cage which he considered too heavy. It was his responsibility to decant some of the contents into an empty cage.

On the plus side its pretty easy work. You’re not expected to get off the back of the vehicle, just roll the cages out and send em down.

I didn’t like it personally but horses for courses and all that.

Was the person who overloaded the cage disciplined as well, did the driver load the cages on to the vehicle or was it pre-loaded?

No the vehicles are all loaded by warehouse.
Just hammered home to me that they got you by the short and curlies.
Whatever happens and whichever way you turn you are at fault.
Spoke volumes for the culture of the place.

OP I have sent you a pm twice but they are just sitting in my outbox. Any mods know why? It doesn’t seem to want to send.

Looooo:
No the vehicles are all loaded by warehouse.
Just hammered home to me that they got you by the short and curlies.
Whatever happens and whichever way you turn you are at fault.
Spoke volumes for the culture of the place.

OP I have sent you a pm twice but they are just sitting in my outbox. Any mods know why? It doesn’t seem to want to send.

As per usual everyone else has Teflon shoulders.

waddy640:

Looooo:
As per usual everyone else has Teflon shoulders.

thats because drivers :laughing: DON’T stick together. :sunglasses: :grimacing:

I can’t believe that s@#t hole is still open! I thought it closed years ago!

rgt1973:
I can’t believe that s@#t hole is still open! I thought it closed years ago!

The old Charlton depot was flattened, there’s a brand new shiny one there now!