Drivers truck is his home

Is there many drivers that still live in there truck? I spoke to one guy who said he does until its serviced he stays in hotels.
It’d be hard but maybe he lost his house no family. Do company’s allow that? Can’t be good

Eastern European drivers live all year in their truck tramping over Europe.Their companies sent them home at Christmas for two weeks off.A large company such as Waberers in Hungary, book their flights or charter coaches to drop them off at their home towns.
Many Portuguese and Spanish registered trucks never go to Spain and Portugal.
The drivers tramp from EE to the Uk or other non EU countries.
Or they work on a dedicated route such as Italy to Germany or Poland to France.

I bet that’s bouble manned for 1000 euro a month

Luke vernon ,aka switchlogic on tnet near enough lives in his truck ,check out his blog and utube vids :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Makes perfect sense. I’d do it there was enough work to justify my own truck around EU.

there are companies about still doing it, quite a few of the heverin boys live in their trucks, I have done it a few years ago, when I was single and away all week couldn’t see the point of renting a place that I was only going to spend 2 days In a week. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I lived in a lorry cab for two years. It worked quite well really and I probably only got caught in the wrong place twice

No rent no utility bills no council tax etc , wouldn’t be a bad way to save some money fast if you were single no ties

And have a girlfriend in every place you to regularly.

Done many a week in my old one, when me and the Ex fell out.

We have 5 where I work that live in the truck.

Switch spends most of his time in the truck but he has his parents house as his home that’s why he talks about liking to go home ie where he keeps his cars receives his mail etc so it’s not as if he’s of no fixed abode or has a Po box for mail.

Its ok living in a truck all the time but the drivers must have an address somewhere, where does their post go to, bank statements, licences etc.

i met a couple 10 years ago at a truckstop by lille, they lived in the truck. they had there tv and playstation and all the luxuries of life and he dropped and swapped at calais.

he said when they went back, three or four times a year, they stayed at hotels, travelodge/travel inn ect and they loved the lifestyle, not for everyone i know but.

Have been living in mine since a house move went pear shaped May this year.
My daughter is kind enough to do a load or two of washing at the weekend and her address is used for documents and stuff.

I have no issue with it and am very happy with the savings, that said winter has not bit yet but then there are hotels :slight_smile:

plan now is to buy trailer and start converting it into living accomodation for the week ends.

When I first came to Canada I lived in my truck for 19 months and you do get used to it but its not much of a life in my opinion. I only did it because I didn’t want to lay down a load of cash on a place to live and furniture and the like until I knew I was going to be allowed to stay in the country. I was single then and it was all just an adventure so I put up with it but there is no way I’d do it all over again.
During my second winter here I ran in to a severe white out blizzard with snow and ice rain, that froze my windscreen over regardless of the wipers and being unwilling to stop on the road for risk of someone slamming in to me I carried on at a slow speed until I could exit at the next slip road, I could only see out of a small clear piece of wind screen and kept behind another truck. A short while later he pulled out to lane two to avoid a stranded vehicle on what small bit of shoulder was accessible next to the snow bank and I did the same but as I moved over again I went a little bit too far and went in to the deeper snow which dragged me in, being unable to see hardly anything I was entirely disorientated and tried to slow her down and stop her slowly but I couldn’t get the truck out of the deep snow, it started to jackknife and went off the road and down the bank, came to a stop and then rolled over on to its side. My home for 19 months with all my worldly possessions got thrown all over the place and that’s what made me get out of living in the stupid thing, the sight of everything I owned tossed around and smashed to pieces inside the cab, it was a vulnerable feeling I have no desire to ever repeat. The truck and trailer miraculously suffered almost no damage due to the truck being stationary when it fell over and it landed in deep snow, but that was enough for me.

Very good synopsis Robinhood.

bazstan009:
plan now is to buy trailer and start converting it into living accomodation for the week ends.

Sounds good, I reckon a fridge trailer would be ideal for that, shouldn’t be too difficult to put some window and doors in, it would be well insulated and you’d have the mother of all aircon systems. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

bazstan009:

Sounds good, I reckon a fridge trailer would be ideal for that, shouldn’t be too difficult to put some window and doors in, it would be well insulated and you’d have the mother of all aircon systems. :stuck_out_tongue:

Truck me don’t want it that cold but right about the insulation.

I have a house and rented it out and lived with a partner the tennents signed a 6 month agreement and a few days later I split with my partner so lived in the truck for 6 months and a local b&b at weekends hard one to call as do you rent out and make money or live in it for 2 days a week!!! costly yes but couldnt face winter in a truck or christmas