Reversing without banksman = possible sacked

theonlybigman:
I was crew trainer at DHL and an official ROSPA approved banksman trainer. Anyone can be trained to be a banksman, whether they drive or not. It is all about understanding the area around you using the simple thought process of T.H.I.N.K.

T = Talk to the driver
H = Has the driver been here before?
I = Indentiffy possible problems
N = Need to concentrate
K = Keep your eyes open

If you have a competent banksman, ie someone who has been signed off by an approved trainer then that is the way forward. But remember in the eyes of the law, the driver is still responsible. If you reversed using a banksman nad run a pushchair over and killed the baby, you would be in court, yes you would more than likely be cleared because you do did everything resonably practicable, and used everything available to stop this kind of incident happening. If you didnt use the banksman, then the story would be very different.

I feel the company is looking out for you and im sure they have only done this to improve their accident rate, and raise their health and safety standard, but it has had a knock on effect that you will reep the rewards of having hopefully zero reversing accidents, and zero potential fatalaties. Reversing accidents when in a residential street are far too often “human” related, which no firm wants you to be part of.

I’ve never read so much BS in a long time. :unamused: What’s worse is that you actually believe it.

So called ‘ROSPA approved banksmen’ are worse than useless. On 2 sites I used to deliver to they wouldn’t let you reverse without one and all they do is wave their arms about in a completely meaningless fashion and try to direct you by standing in your blind spot. :unamused: So instead of them being helpful they actually hinder you more than if you were reversing on your own because you have to stop and get out to make sure that they’re still alive after wandering off into your blind spot.

There’s no excuse to run anyone over when reversing in a bin truck anyway as they’re all fitted with rear cameras. Any driver that seriously injures or kills someone when reversing one should be sent to one of the Queen’s hotels for a lengthy period. There’s no excuse.