The first big one

I didn’t have a GV60 for this trailer at the time, so could only manifest a load, which cost money at each border crossing as the documents had to be translated and you paid a percentage of the invoice value. (I think that is how it worked) Even if I had the GV60. TIR was beyond me at the time. So after loading the prunes i was given my documents and the little man on a bike sealed my trailer and off I went to the Hungarian border. Well not directly as Carl had told us about the Hotel National in Belgrade, you cannot miss the place and we pulled in to meet George, we had heard loads of tales about him or Georgina as all the staff answered to the same name. I looked through the old telex pile and read load details of places I couldn’t pronounce. I was hooked, and wanted to go further afield. We had a snack and soft drinks in the National and left for the border at Rajka iirc

When we loaded in Yugoslavia I mentioned the red Scania, well I met this same lorry coming towards me as we neared the border. I flashed my lights and attracted his attention. He stopped and this bloke uncurled himself out of the cab. I handed him an envelope and that was the first meeting with Dave Chamberlain :stuck_out_tongue: It took some explaining why I had this big bundle of passports and visas. I thought he would be pleased but he had wasted a lot of time and I felt he wanted to kick my arse when in reality I had saved him a trip back to the factory. The result of this was that we were shown through the border with great speed even though i had to manifest my load. A further benefit was that Dave took us to the White House where we called it a day. The stories I had heard about this motorcycle nut from Lancashire were true, he did drink like a fish. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am at a loss with memory to understand how I managed to get into Czechoslovakia because I didn’t have a visa, so although I could get the Hungarian one on the border, the Czech visa wasn’t as easy!