Insurance scam by eastern european drivers

welshboyinspain:

schrodingers cat:
I lived in Spain between 2000 and 2008 and the number of Brits I met out there who run UK cars with no tax mot or insurance was disgusting

what happens if one of these smug idiots runs into my mrs or even worse knocks my little girl over? with no MOT or tax their insurance is invalid.

I don’t know how it’s solved in Spain, or in UK, but in Poland there is something called the “Guaranteed rendition found” (I am not sure if that’s the right translation) so if you are hit by uninsured driver, you get your payment from them and then they sue the driver. Off course in most cases they don’t have their money back, so the fund is funded by the mandatory payments from all insurance companies operating on the Polish market.

you have 183 days to register the vehicle onto spanish plates

I think this is European law. Or even it is written in Vienna Convention, I am not sure.

and before anyone mentions roadtax we pay it in spain as well but it goes to the local town hall so at least you know which politicians are squandering it :laughing: :laughing:

If you are in Poland, you pay road tax as well, as it’s included into the fuel price. Therefore everyone who drives in Poland on Polish fuel contribute to the road tax. I think it’s very just metod, as more you drive, more you pay.

The owners of the HGV’s or buses pay some additional tax and they are vignettes as well :wink: