Insurance scam by eastern european drivers

toby1234abc:
They will buy cheap insurance in their own country,and wont inform the insurance firm that they live full time in the uk

They don’t have to. Unlike British insurance, many other countries do not limit time spent abroad :wink:

So this is nothing wrong insurancewise.

Off course Britain requires that if you live there more than half year, you should reregister your car to the British plates, and then insure it here, but if you haven’t done it, you broke only British law. You are OK with a Polish law, therefore your insurance is still valid.

So I am sorry to dissapoint you, they break the law by not registering car in Britain and not paying road tax here, but there is nothing wrong with their insurance.

The problem is different other way: if you go to Europe in your British car, you have usually your insurance valid only three months. So after 3 months you are no longer insured, even though you don’t need to reregister your car yet, as you have 6 months to do it (or you can’t do it at all in case of RHD cars in Poland).

If you and i,got caught with no insurance,the car will be crushed,points and a fine,that is a serious matter,as the punishment is a long walk home,or loss of employment.
How can this scam be stopped,a Romanian driver will pay 7 times more for insurance in the uk,so the temptation is there.

I can’t say for Romania, but in case of Poland there is no scam. Your insurance is still valid.