Training Diary

Hi Squiddy, everything you have just said is true, that was how i was doing it yesterday :blush: however today was a different story :smiley: …read on…

DAY 3

Gave myself a big kick up the backside before i left the house and made myself a promise to try harder today and slow everything down :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …

Got to Paul’s yard at 5 to 8, had a quick cuppa :smiley: and a chat about yesterdays shenan…shinane…shenigns…■■■■ ups!!! :unamused:

Into the truck and off we go, the last 2 days i have driven wearing my steel toe cap boots but today i thought i would wear my trainers ( old and battered and more like slippers!! :smiley: ) to see if it helped on braking by being able to feel the pedal underfooot a bit more, if this makes sense!!! :confused:

Today was to be same as regards to driving on test routes etc so we headed out onto part of the route we covererd on monday, starting to recognise some of the area now so this helped a lot, took it nice and steady, nice and easy gear changes ( me and the gearbox are like bezzy mates now, told it that it can come up to ours on saturday for a drink… :smiley: ).

Oh xxxx heres a roundabout!!!..slow down…slow down…observation…braking gently…nice and slow, into 5th trundle round…mirrors…signal left ( 2nd exit) mirrors…round we go and away!!!, this gave me a big confidence boost :sunglasses: so on we went, through built up areas, through main streets, lots of parked cars / pedestrians, bus lanes, traffic lights and even a few more roundabouts…no problem whatsoever :smiley: :smiley: , things are starting to click into place… ( wish my back and my knees would!) :laughing: .

Anyway we stopped at the test centre to have a look at some of the reversing, there was an artic and a coach so watched the artic first and then the coach, strangely the coach stopped with its back end only maybe just a quarter of the way over the hatched area, the driver didn’t get out to check and the examiner jumped in and off they went, even Paul was suprised!!!

After that i drove for about another hour around another test route, dual carriageway, motorway, more roundabouts for good measure, i was enjoying it knowing that i was doing it well, surely nothing could go wrongâ– â– ? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: .

Came up to a t junction and Paul said i was going to turn left,it was a little bit tight but not rediculously… indicated and got myself right over to the white line, looking left, looking right, all clear out we go…didn’t go out far enough steered left a bit too early and mounted the corner of the kerb with the outer nearside wheel, ( okay, not a disaster but enough to fail your test on), i was well peeeed off with myself but carried on.

Paul measured out and set up the cones, had two goes at the reverse, both spot on even if i do say so myself :unamused: , hope this doesn’t bite my ■■■ on the test day!!!, drove the last half hour back to the yard no problems, nice and steady, lots of nice gear changes, skipping gears and tackling a few tight bends and roundabouts, forgot to mention earlier in the day did a few hillstarts inc 1 on quite a steep hill, and pulling out from kerbside when parked about 2 cars lenghts behind a parked car, waiting for space in the oncoming traffic etc as had to pinch a bit of their lane :smiley: .

Paul didn’t even have to remind me to check the nearside mirror today, think i looked in the mirrors more than through the windscreen today as my neck was aching a bit.

Lessons for today…On tight t junctions when taking a left turn take a lot more room before getting the rear end round ( a bit like my missus has to!! :laughing:) …xxxx hope she doesn’t read this :open_mouth:

Learnt today…slow it right down on roundabouts, junctions, in fact everything!!!
…Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors…

Only 4 hours tomorrow and then 2 on friday before my test…valium at the ready!!!