Training Diary

DAY 2…

Started the day off by going round the truck and Paul showing me the daily checks that need to be made, oil,water, washer, brake fluid, lights etc then it was into the truck and out of the yard.

Yesterday i drove around some of the possible test routes i could be taken on and Paul said today i would go over a different route and some of yesterdays as well, drove down narrow roads, dual carriageways and even went on the motorway for 2 junctions, no problems to speak of lots of mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors ( as Paul had mentioned yesterday :blush: ).

So far Paul has learnt me about things such as Pulling over to the kerb correctly, pulling away again, hill starts ( uphill & downhill ), leaving a decent gap behind the vehicle in front when stopping at lights etc, drumming home about checking the blind spot when moving off ( all these i have now more or less mastered ) :smiley:

Yesterday i battled a bit with the slapover gearbox but today it has become a lot easier to manage with me being a bit more gentle and taking a bit more time when changing gear so i am quite pleased with that :sunglasses: .

My worst fault today was speed or should i say too much of it, especially on the approach to roundabouts etc, for some reason i just couldn’t get out of ‘car mode’ and was approaching roundabouts to fast and then trying to select the correct gear, indicate and turn the wheel all at once :blush: :blush: .

This resulted in me mounting the kerb slightly when tryng to go round a small r/b and straight on ( by not straddling the 2 lanes on approach ), i stayed too far to the left and cocked it up :cry: .

After me getting a bit peeed off with myself about all that Paul suggested that he drive for 5 mins and i can have a look at how he does it so we swapped over and i watched him driving, slow and steady and lots of time to select gears etc, after that i drove a lot more steady and for the last half hour seemed to get it together better, so i will aim to carry this on tomorrow.

What i have noticed about myself is that for the first 3 hours i am fine but the last hour seems to ■■■■ up one way or another and i just can’t seem to nail it :frowning: :frowning: .

Lessons for today…slow down on the approach to roundabouts (still!!!) ( see day 1) :unamused: ).
…More observation and planning on small roundabouts ( see above :unamused: )
…Getting more consistant with mirrors but a bit more nearside mirror needed.

Learnt today…Got mirror,mirror, blindspot nailed when pulling off.
…Mastered the gearbox including skipping gears etc :sunglasses:
…Not to try and steer ten to two out of a tight left/right turn but to ‘palm it’ but not all the time (only if called for)!!!