Start C+E Training 9th February

Thanks for the goodluck messages :slight_smile:

Started off coupling up so we could go straight to the reversing area. Lining up wasn’t too bad but then Paul said I was been too soft with it and the locking pin wasn’t dropping and engaging properly. I tried again but still nothing :frowning: Paul climbed in the cab and slammed the linkage so hard I thought the trailer was going to bounce out of the yard! :laughing: Bingo it worked and we were off to start reversing.
Paul explained in detail what i should be looking for and how to know if its not going right. I did the reverse 3 times and was told would have passed all 3 times :smiley: 2nd one I needed to do a shunt but was pleased as quite a few very experienced class 1 drivers had told me the reverse was the hardest bit! So then it was onto the uncouple and recouple. Again full explanation of the hard and easy way to do it. I did it twice but had problems again with the pin dropping, I think i’m just frightened of damaging something :blush: I now know what people are talking about with the red airline. Was a bit tricky to get on, I guess maybe a bit harder on the W+D because you have to climb underneath the rear to do it and theres not a lot of room. :unamused:
Next it was out on the road. I was surprised how much I had the use the gears more sometimes setting off in 2nd and using the splitter on the climbs. Most of the time though you almost forget the trailer is there that is until I got to the Leeds outer ring road. Came up to the roundabout as paul said “make a left turn” No problem I thought until it was pointed out that I hadn’t left any room for the trailer and scuffed the tyres all the way round the kerb! :blush: Next left turn and had to be told again to leave room and swing out so 3rd roundabout I was ready :slight_smile:
I enjoyed today and I think I was soon back into swing of HGV driving again. It seemed ages since I had driven a truck (6th Jan) but back out on the road and I felt like i’d come home again. :grimacing:
I’m doing more reversing 1st thing and then uncouple recouple :frowning: I hope it comes more natural tomorrow, I really don’t want to do a good test then ■■■■ it up at the end coupling bit!!! :open_mouth:
Then we are going to Harrogate and Knaresborugh. After dinner I think we will be back to north east Leeds Wetherby road, Coal Road etc.
I’ll post another update tomorrow, test Friday morning :cry: :blush: :cry:

Rob