A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

Pebbles 74:
How about this then…

This is a recent image from Bubbleman’s ‘Scrapbook Memories’ thread & is apparently a cutting from a Volvo parts / service brochure. Many thanks Marcus.

I have wondered if the photograph was taken when the wreker was new due to absence of a front number plate? I also wonder if this may be the origin of the wreker that Stuarts run today, which has the later version of the F12 cab fitted. That vehicle was in the Steelboys area at Gaydon last year. Can anybody shed any light on it?

All the best, Andrew Stone.

I think that photo was taken 1980? Andrew when the wrecker had just been built, and I seem to remember Tom and Ross built it from a tractor unit and the F10 hitched up to is GTA 721V which sadly soon after met its demise on the M3 when it hit a loaded 8 wheeler up the rear and im not sure but i seem to recall GTA blew a turbo comming up out of Oakhampton and the wrecker went down to tow it home and this was before the bypass was built.As for the registration it was run on trade plates as far as i can remember and later changed as I think the law changed and everything had to be registered.The lifting gear was quite new for the period as it was underslung pickup because Stuarts bought it for the picking up of coaches mainly for when Trathens coaches were running double deck coaches and Stuarts did the repairs for them and at the time most coaches could only be recovered by underslung pickups which as you can see just lifted the front axle straight off the ground.
Thanks…toplineruk