Expenses for nights on Agency work

darkseeker:
Because I’m an agency driver, I have no fixed place of employment and am therefore eligable for 38-40 pence per mile (can’t fathom if I need recipts or not), a fiver per meal (under certain curcumstances) and expenses relating to my work - I presume that’s workwear, gloves, any p.p.e, pens, paper, diaries, possibly even a replacement digi-card if I need one.

you can claim a maximum of 40ppm for the 1st 10k miles, less any travel monies your paid by the agency. you cant as a PAYE agency driver claim for pens, paper, diaries etc. As for claiming the cost of digi card & medicals, I suspect you cant claim those

darkseeker:
Not too sure about work related courses, is that for self employed/plc etc or can I still get that as an agency driver on paye?

As PAYE you can`t claim for those, and you have to stand the cost.
With the P87 you get to claim roughly 2/3rds of “expenses” what a S/E or Ltd Co driver can

darkseeker:
If it can be back-dated, could I use my timesheets (which detail who I worked for and when) and say “that’s the last six month’s worth for brakes at grantham which is 30miles from home - pay up!” or do you get a kind “bugger orff” without a reciept??

you could probably use the timesheets, but if you have time, set up a simple mileage spreadsheet and put the info on there. you can then print of the spreadsheet and send that to HMRC
If your unable to format a simple spreadsheet PM me a email addy and Ill send you 1. It can be a PITA to keep updating, but youll eventually get the hang of it

darkseeker:
How do I apply for these expenses, including where to get the forms?

Google “Tax form P87” or click the link HERE
its probably the 1st thing that comes up, download the pdf file, print it off.
Read the guidance notes, it selfexplanetry(sp?).
Fill it in and send it off to the taxman. you can only claim 2010-2011 after the end of the current tax year. however other years can be claimed at any point, so long as your able to provide supporting evidence
Fill 1 form in per agency that youve worked for, and youll need the employers tax office reference number thats on the top of P45, or P60 (end of year tax form) that your agency eventually sends you