Middle East in the 70's & 80's

Hi Steve,
I will have a word with my Dad to see if he a picture of Joe. Dad was never one for photo’s, never stopped driving by all accounts. When we went with him I remember driving for days non stop following that pipeline! I remember Joe for his Grimsby accent and the big scar on the top of his baldy head where he was asleep and he stuck to the inside of his side window at about -20 somewher in Germany I think. Dad had to put hot water on the outside of the window to defrost him. I will see what he has. I have a couple of photo’s of Dad’s trucks and one of him in the desert eating somewhere, I will dig them out and upload if I can.

Wiz

mushroomman:
Hello Wiz, it would be good if you could show an old photo of Joe 90 on here as there appears to have been a couple of Joe 90’s running down to the Middle East in the 70’s/80’s and I wonder if it’s the one who I met on couple of occasions.
Maybe your Dad or The Red Desert Fox can answer something that I remember seeing once on The Mocamp back in 1980 when I was talking to a couple of lads from the Northampton area.
One of the lads, who was in his twenties was called Mick and I.I.R.C. he used to be a F3 driver, he had a blue D.A.F. which belonged to Euroroute which was an ex P.I.E. motor. The other lad who I think was from the Northampton area was driving a brand new black (now this is the bit that I am not sure of :confused: ) was it a Scania or was it a Volvo N12 as it was one of those that had a long bonnet and I can’t remember seeing one on the roads anywhere in the U.K. at the time. He was pulling a fridge and he was also loaded with Kit Kits on his way to Kuwait so maybe that somebody on here can remember seeing him.
A lot of the guys on here will remember seeing Charlies Chocolate Cowboys (Charles Priors drivers), they were often opened up at a border as the customs men needed samples, sometimes it was a case of one box for them and one for the driver which they often shared with the other lads who were running with them, so it was always Mars Bars, Twix and Snickers with the afternoon tea break :smiley: .

Regards Steve.