Middle East in the 70's & 80's

Hello mate, thanks for the reply.
John Kemp is my dad and is still very much alive living back in Derbyshire with my mum. By some spooky fate Joe Nesome (Joe 90) rang him on Monday to catch up! You are right, Dad was a director of TAF Shipping which in the end owned KOO, TAF Pcking etc. Donald Knight I still see occasionally back in the village of Old near Northampton, where it all started. I was lucky enough as a 9 year old to travel to Kuwait with my dad in his 89. I remember most of those guys, Brent Savage, Dennis Knight, Kevin Barrat, Colin Johnson, John the ‘Baptist’, Maurice etc. I also remember a guy called Ron who had a trailer full of ‘KIT KATS’ on that journey. Kept us kids happy for 5 weeks! :smiley:

Reddesertfox:

wiz:
I have been reading through some of the older posts, I have found reference to names like Joe 90, John Kemp, Dennis Knight, Trans Arabian Freight, Knight International, Redcliffe Roadways. Does anyone still remember any of these names? :question:

Hi Wiz, Many of the older drivers on this site will have known the drivers / firms you have mentioned. You will see from the Astran / Middle East Drivers that Jo used to do trailer changes in Iskenderun for TAF. Dennis Knight was related to the Knight brothers who owned Knights of Old / TAF but I understand took his money out prior to the firm growing and he later did a couple of spells inside for banned substances, having said that, I found Dennis to be a decent enough bloke and a ■■■■ good driver. I think he later bought a pub, but I have not seen him for maybe 10 yrs. I think John Kemp has passed on, but again a very good successful owner driver who later had a top job with TAF (A Director, I think) .

Many drivers were on for Redcliffe Roadways, Including those mentioned above and others like Brent Savage, Malc Watson, and I also believe Maurice Gray…but to name a few…

Regards RDF