A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

Peter Coaker:
Hello Pebbles
I can add a little information to your latest pictures. In the first photo taken in the old market in Exeter, where Marty is standing in front of the Bedford TK, Exeter Cattle Transport’s AEC is in the background. This is the breakdown truck that appears below, the livestock box (built by Mannings at Dawlish) was removed and fitted to the Ford D series that appears in one of the other photos. In March 1977 we bought this lorry from Roy Stuart, with the intention of fitting the box to a newer chassis. However, the deal on the planned replacement fell through and so GFJ521D had to soldier on. At the time, most of the drivers at Stuarts were afraid to go further than Exeter Mkt with it. Bill Bevan at Exeter Commercials fitted a new set of injectors and a second-hand power steering ram and off it went to France, then Aberdeen the following week. In all it continued until October before it was replaced and then it continued for a while as a flat lorry. I still have the old EXeter Cattle Transport nameboard in my garage, though it has had Sherberton Transport written on it for many years.
Peter

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for your comments. I’ll pass them on to Martin.

Regards, Andrew