All ride 24 volt microwave

Anybody got 1? what are they like? Any good? Thinking about getting a microwave but dont want to buy a box of scrap!

I have had one for getting on for two years.
It’s ok, I used to have a samsung in my last truck a daf ssc.
It stopped working after about 5 years, whilst working it was really good,but it cost a lot more than the allride.
The allride does not have a turntable so you have to give it longer than a normal one.
If you can have an autosparky wire it it with heavy duty cable, unless it’s a ssc daf as they are prewired up to the top central locker.

Cheap 700w microwave from Asda/ Tesco (£30)etc 1000w inverter from internet (£70) wired in to main fusebox feed does the job for about £100, Had mine fro a few weeks now with no problems, another of our lads has had the same set up for a couple of years now. Why pay stupid money for the 24volt ones?

vwgpmk2:
Cheap 700w microwave from Asda/ Tesco (£30)etc 1000w inverter from internet (£70) wired in to main fusebox feed does the job for about £100, Had mine fro a few weeks now with no problems, another of our lads has had the same set up for a couple of years now. Why pay stupid money for the 24volt ones?

does the inverter get hot, I’m not sure about this bit I thought a m-wave with a 700 w output drew a lot more power that that when you start it up !

I’ve got an allride one, as long as you assume it’s a 500w output and give things plenty of time it’s great. IIRC the 24 volt ones have a capacitor in to avoid the power surge on start up .

Denis F:
IIRC the 24 volt ones have a capacitor in to avoid the power surge on start up .

And give you good knock across the workshop when you forget it’s there while fitting a set of new batteries. :blush:

I’ve got one in the side locker which comment to the Anderson plug it works very well just a little underpowered compared to a domestic oven

I’ve got one too.As others have said,extend the cooking time.I usually double what the instructions say for a 700w oven.

Denis F:

vwgpmk2:

does the inverter get hot, I’m not sure about this bit I thought a m-wave with a 700 w output drew a lot more power that that when you start it up !

I’ve got an allride one, as long as you assume it’s a 500w output and give things plenty of time it’s great. IIRC the 24 volt ones have a capacitor in to avoid the power surge on start up .

No the inverter does not get hot, but you need to get one that exceeds the “INPUT” power of the microwave. Mine is a 700w microwave with an input power of 1000w. The inverter is a 1000w continuous with a 2000w surge so is more than capable. You can get bigger inverters but they cost more.
Alternativly look for a “caravan” microwave from a camping shop as these have a lower input power but tend to be a bit more expensive.

vwgpmk2:

Denis F:

vwgpmk2:

No the inverter does not get hot, but you need to get one that exceeds the “INPUT” power of the microwave. Mine is a 700w microwave with an input power of 1000w. The inverter is a 1000w continuous with a 2000w surge so is more than capable. You can get bigger inverters but they cost more.
Alternativly look for a “caravan” microwave from a camping shop as these have a lower input power but tend to be a bit more expensive.

I vote for your idea because I would do the same. The cheapo microwaves are usually smallish aswell which makes them ideal for jamming in a small space (as long as the vents are clear etc)

i just use a 24 volt oven,cooks a ready meal in 25mins , plugs in to the 24 volt power supply on dash (NOT THE CIGGY LIGHTER THING) BEEN USING IT FOR 4 YEARS. does toast and all sorts. all for £30. :laughing: :laughing: .have fitted it on shelf and easy to use. .why pay more :wink:

Thanks for the advice all. I started this job 2 weeks ago, its trunking between depots in UK, France and Germany. All the depots have kitchen facilities for the drivers so no microwave needed! Thanks again though. :smiley: