HGV Licence gone

colket:
I was ok taking 5 tablets a day to control my diabetes…i still take them plus 1 insulin injection a day.
The tablets was not working very well But i could still drive a truck…so 1 injection blood sugars are good and i car`nt drive…sorry but makes no sense to me…thanks for your replys

Good morning. Please excuse a non-driver joining in - I am a GP who does some occupational health and quite a few HGV medicals. There are two exceptions for insulin treated diabetes in the “rules”. One for drivers on insulin pre April 1991 (on a case by case basis), and a more recent change allowing a C1/C1E licence subject to meeting certain criteria.

Before starting insulin did you try or did anyone discuss an alternative injection called exanatide with you (or something similar)? This has not been around long but can be a useful add on when tablets do not suffice. It is not suitable for everyone but (subject to a case by case assessment by DVLA) you would generally be allowed to continue HGV driving whilst taking it. It can be particularly useful in people with diabetes who are overweight as it helps this as well, thus resulting in even better diabetic control. The only caution would be if you were on this and taking sulphonylurea drugs (for example gliclazide), when the risk of hypos is higher. However, it is not right for everyone but if it hasn’t been discussed by your doctor it may be worth asking about it and flagging up the difficulties that being on insulin causes with your occupation.

There is more information and some links that may be useful on our website Account Closed

Good luck
Richard