Scania R470 Fuel Consumption

Just been reminded of this thread - and I’ve learnt a few things since I looked at it last.

There are so many variables regarding mpg so its difficult to say what your truck is actually doing.

The most important thing I learnt was the mpg readout on my 06 plate R470 was over-reading by almost 20% :blush:

So if I thought I was getting 10mpg I was actually closer to 8mpg - I now check what the dashboard meter says and compare it with how much fuel I put in the tank.

I also use the speed my sat nav says I’m doing and compare it with the speed set on the cruise control. This was 5% out on my R470

I now run R620’s (with the overdrive gear) and consistently return better mpg than the R470 (calibration error accounted for)

I’m also pretty sure Shell diesel returns better mpg than any other fuel. - A regular run I have (340miles medium weight up, heavy back) usually comes out at 8.3-8.5mpg - when I use Shell I get 9.3-9.5 mpg

Another regular run 330 miles (very light) I can get 12 mpg - but with Shell I actually achieved 14.7 mpg! I was so amazed I had to call my mate over to verify what was displayed.(I’m pretty sure I had a tailwind)

Another reagular run 340 miles (light) returns a consistent 11.3mpg - I had the truck in for MOT one day and had to do this run with a basic spec Scania 380 and got 10.8 mpg :grimacing:

All runs in 6x2 620 Topline & mainly motorway

I’d still shy away from the R480 - but I think the new 13 litre 440 might be the way to go. .