Nostalgia!!

alanwalker:
Hi Rikki
I worked for Smith & Robinson - S & R at Rothwell twice 3years (I was youngest driver at 23) and again at 32 years old for 16 years.
I became a driver trainer in 1974 and eventually Training Officer. I also worked for Harold Woods, Calor, L.P.G. TDG and trained thousands of great guys across the UK, Shell, Fina, BP, Hoyer, etc.etc.
I enjoyed every second as a driver and all the other roles, even LDOY class H -1st in Yorkshire 1970/1972 and 2nd in Yorkshire 1971/1973.
If anyone remembers me please accept my best regards and just to let you know I am still alive and kicking and in great shape at 76.

I am pleased you have found this site Alan. You may bring some of us back down to earth. I was 22 when I first came to Liquid Powders & Gas Transport for my hazchem course, it has stood me in good stead ever since. I remember a comment you made to me as I finished an exam long before the final finish time. All I wanted was another cup of coffee and a cigarette, in those days we could stand outside the portacabin. You were surprised I had finished so early and if I wanted to check my answers. Apparently I had made one mistake which I left alone, as you said I had already passed with flying colours :smiley: We celebrated on the last day in the pub.

I enjoyed going into Nab Lane, all the drivers in the canteen, the fitting and washbay staff, even the office staff were always a great laugh. Little Jimmy and Harold in the washbay always looked after me, and I was known as “Victor Nobby Balls” after my registration number VNB

My last visit to Linkman Batley was to see Keith Grimshaw as I had worked on the Continent with him for several years.

I wish you a long and happy retirement!

Malcolm