A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

Hello Pebbles
I can add a little information to your latest pictures. In the first photo taken in the old market in Exeter, where Marty is standing in front of the Bedford TK, Exeter Cattle Transport’s AEC is in the background. This is the breakdown truck that appears below, the livestock box (built by Mannings at Dawlish) was removed and fitted to the Ford D series that appears in one of the other photos. In March 1977 we bought this lorry from Roy Stuart, with the intention of fitting the box to a newer chassis. However, the deal on the planned replacement fell through and so GFJ521D had to soldier on. At the time, most of the drivers at Stuarts were afraid to go further than Exeter Mkt with it. Bill Bevan at Exeter Commercials fitted a new set of injectors and a second-hand power steering ram and off it went to France, then Aberdeen the following week. In all it continued until October before it was replaced and then it continued for a while as a flat lorry. I still have the old EXeter Cattle Transport nameboard in my garage, though it has had Sherberton Transport written on it for many years.
Peter

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,

My Uncle has unearthed some more photo’s of his time at AE Stuarts & I have finally got around to scanning them today. I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

This is the second TK that he drove for Stuart’s.

This line up include the AEC Mandator GNT163N & it’s ‘drag’ that was originally operated by MJ Parry of Bayston Hill, Shropshire. The furthest D Series Ford is still in the livery of Exeter Cattle Transport (Langford’s) who were bought out by Stuart’s.

This AEC was one of two that can to Stuart’s when they bought Exeter Cattle Transport. This one was converted into a wrecker, the other was run on as a livestock lorry.

Another shot of BFJ960T, the F12 that my Uncle drove from new.

Another of BFJ960T with Stuart Snow’s (Andover) F10. These last two will go on the F10, F12, F16 thread.

Hope you like them! Andrew Stone