IMDG placard + extra labelling for Oz - ok or not?

On taking a container load of dangerous goods to port in the UK for shipment to Australia - the container being placarded to IMDG, the consignor wants to add some extra labelling to the Container - something similar called an Emergency Information Panel (EIP) - on the insistance of the Australian customer, to meet some Aussie regs. Is this extra labelling on the outside of container loads of DG’s allowed? The panel contains emergency telephone numbers (000) that are specific to Australia, and so to my mind is confusing when on the road in the UK. I just wondered if this breaks any rules?

Regards,

beerexpressman

beerexpressman:
On taking a container load of dangerous goods to port in the UK for shipment to Australia - the container being placarded to IMDG, the consignor wants to add some extra labelling to the Container - something similar called an Emergency Information Panel (EIP) - on the insistance of the Australian customer, to meet some Aussie regs. Is this extra labelling on the outside of container loads of DG’s allowed? The panel contains emergency telephone numbers (000) that are specific to Australia, and so to my mind is confusing when on the road in the UK. I just wondered if this breaks any rules?

Regards,

beerexpressman

Page 5 of this PDFfor the squished up notice :blush:

To me it looks like your responsibility stops at being legal in the UK with IMDG as ADR seems to be unrecognised in Australia. I think an email to this place may put your mind at rest, or wait for Dieseldave. The UN will be the same number whatever, but the antipodean trucker should have his own placards

info@nationwidetraining.com.au

beerexpressman:

Regards,

beerexpressman

Hi beerexpressman,

I’ll go with what Malc said. :smiley:

Just to reassure you though…
I do agree that maybe extra markings could be confusing, but you’re not actually breaking any rules whilst you’re on a UK road if you’re overmarked. The applicable Regs don’t forbid the extra markings, but neither do they require them. So, yes, they’re allowed provided that they don’t misrepresent what’s in the container in any way.

Austrailia isn’t a member of ADR, so ADR’s requirements are as irrelevant in Australia as Australian national Regs are in the UK.

To address your concern about the possibility of the extra markings being confusing, would it be possible to carry the ‘extra’ markings with you, then affix them on the container once you’ve arrived at the port? (Just a thought. :smiley: )
Just out of interest, have you raised this concern with the UK shipper, and if so, what was their reply please?