A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

aecinsalop:
The AEC (GNT 163 N) pictured here in this section was bought new by Geoff Parry (M.J.Parry & Sons) as AEC Mandator long wheelbase, drawbar spec and towing a Doughty drawbar trailer, both fitted with plywood 3 deck sheep bodies made by Geoff Parry in his own bodyshop at Bayston Hill. Charlie Edwards drove this vehicle from new. We ran a matching outfit converted from a AEC mammoth Minor twin steer tractor unit (KUJ 311 F), again fitted with 3 deck sheep bodies, this was driven by Paul Cadwallader, another youngster (at the that time). I do not have any pictures of KUJ 311F when converted to a long wheelbase drawbar 6 wheeler. The AEC Mustang pictured outside Barrets and Baird, PSA 304 is now in the porcess of being restored, and hopefully will be fitted with replica Thornes 22ft 3 deck body. I will post pictures as soon as we have fitted the cab…The AEC Mercury (303 DLW) I show at the moment is fitted with a Crump (Wrexham) body, we only had one from this bodybuilder. The vehicle and body are an exact replica to KHG 832 AEC Mercury with Crump body ran in the 1960s, and driven by Bill Bufton!! The rest of the bodies were all Thornes of Dorrington, until Geoff Parry started his own body shop in the early 1970s. Thats all for now…

Hello AEC,

Many thanks for your message & for solving the ‘confusion’ over the origins of Stuart’s Mandator, I will pass your message on to my Uncle. I had hoped to speak to you at Gaydon, but each time I was down by the Mercury there was nobody around. Will you be at Onslow Park at the end of the month?

My Uncle also had this photograph of the Mandator, before it was repainted - I guess this is how you remember it?

I notice there is no front hitch in this photograph, presumably this was a ‘Devonian’ addition?

Anyway, thanks again for your message. Best regards, Andrew Stone