Bob paul - r . i . p

It is with much regret that I have to announce that Mr Bob Paul passed away on Wednesday 7th July 2010 at the age of 81.

Bob was the “original” long haul pioneer and was instrumental in opening up the first commercial route across Europe and deep into the Middle East in 1964 when he and his friend Mike Woodman set off from Cheshire in a second hand Guy Warrior and borrowed trailer, with a load of printing presses bound for Kabul, capital of Afghanistan!
That was the beginning of Asian Transport which then rebranded as Astran…the rest is history and the ledgendry company was born!

Bob was Transport Director of Astran for almost 40 years and never thought of himself as the boss, preffering to be classed as “one of the workers”. He respected every one of his staff and reffered to them all as his “family”.

On Saturday 26th June 2010, Bob was guest of honour at my book launch and Astran grand reunion party. He had a fabulous time and met many of his old “boys” and rekindled many long lost freindships.
I am very proud to be responsible for gathering everyone together for the special occassion which is now even more poignient.

I feel extremely honoured and priveledged to have met Bob who has been most helpful with information for the book. I have spent many happy hours drinking beer with him and listening to his crystal clear recollections of old trips, stories and anecdotes from his “life” at Astran.
I am deeply saddened at this devestaing news…
Bob leaves a family of a son and 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren.

GOD BLESS YOU SIR. NOW YOU ARE WITH CAROLINE - REST IN PEACE!

BOB PAUL 1929 - 2010

The trip that started it all off…Bob poses with the Guy Warrior and customs officer at the Iran/Afghanistan border. Summer 1964.

The “original long haul pioneer”. Bob on top of Tahir. 1966.

Speaking at the book launch / grand reunion. June 2010.

Posing with his “family”. Everyone loved and respected Bob Paul ! He will be very greatly missed.

How terribly sad news, especially as he was such a significant part of your book coming together.

At least he was able to share the official launch day with his extended family, RIP Bob

I received this e mail from Gordon Pearce who knew Bob better than most. They spent 18 months paired up together running continuously between London and Iran:

Hi Ash,
Been thinking about Bob the last hour or two since you phoned me,and just had to put pen to paper…

Bob to me was never my boss,
But the best of friends;now such a loss.

We shared some good times,some hard too,
But knowing Bob,we always pulled through.

Bob started a journey quite unrivalled,
Overland to the Middle East he travelled

And what an adventure he made for some,
And what a success he made it become.

Now for Bob its the end of the line,
But to me;NO;he’s with Caroline.

Not to be forgotten,
Gordon
Bob Paul (left) and Gordon Pearce pose with a friendly Iranian driver. c1966/67.

How very very sad, he looks as fit as flea on those pictures too. RIP Driver.

Fly sheet

hi ash,
that’s the saddest thing that i have ever read on trucknet.just like any other truck mad boy growing up in the 1970’s,astran where/are and always will be the name linked to pioneering overland trips from europe to south east asia.that book i bought in gaydon was written for a reason.thankfully bob paul lived long enough to realise the impact that astran had.r.i.p.
regards andrew cooper

The best ‘boss’ I could have ever wished for

R.I.P.

Mr. Paul - with Mrs. Paul

With love,
Alison ■■

Sad News, RIP Bob, your legacy will live on

Ron

I never met Bob Paul, but like everyone else i always had the greatest respect for him and his achievments. All i would say is…at least he lived long enough to see the book launch and meet up with his old mates one last time.
RIP Bob Paul.

I felt very honoured and privileged to meet the man and listen to his heartwarming speech about his beloved company and former employees, just twelve days ago
R.I.P Mr Paul

Jerry

This poem is printed in my book. An Astran employee wrote it in the early 1970’s but no one knows who that person was. It was pinned up in Bob Paul’s office for many years and I think it is very fitting that it is reprinted here in memory of Bob…

‘Epitaph to a truckie’

A truckie stood at the pearly gates, his face was worn and old.
He meekly asked the man of fate for admission to the fold.
“What have you done?” St. Peter asked, “to seek admission here”?
“I was the driver of a Scania road-train for many, many a year”.
The gates swung open sharply as St. Peter touched the bell.
“Come in my boy and take a harp. You’ve had enough of hell.”

I never met the man,but met up with many members of his “Family” on the roads out east.They spoke of him with great respect.
It was most poingnant that he was able to be at the reunion and the launch of Ash’s book,who would have guessed it was his last appearance.
But men like this will never be forgotten,when I met other Astran drivers,we knew we were following in the footsteps of a real pioneer,a man to whom the words,“Can’t be done” were a challenge,and Ash’s book will ensure that his name will live on in the annals of trucking history.
Take it easy now Bob,there are a few mates waiting round the next bend…
RIP

Although i never new or met mr paul, from what iv’e read in ash’s book he was a real true gentleman in every way.

Rest in Peace

Deepest sympathy to his family & friends.

Regards

Gary

Hi boys
I have just finished your book Ash and log on here to read your post. what a shock. Like Ian I never had the privilege of meeting this great man. It is obvious from what I have read he was a much respected and well liked head of The Family. R.I.P.

Likewise, I only know him from Ash’s book, but he sounded like one of the better gaffers, we all had plenty on that time that weren’t.

Another one gone, my condolances to all. :frowning:

Wolfie

A sad day to hear about Bob Paul.Over the years Bob and I have had some laughs.Having worked with Bob so closely at the the start of Asian Transport Ltd.now Astran,I really got to know him as one of the best.After Caroline died quite a few years ago,she was always in his thoughts,and it was never very long in conversation that her name was not mentioned.It was as if she was just round the corner.I will truely miss him.
Thanks to Alison for the photo of Caroline and Bob together.Thanks to Ashley for the grand re-union,that Bob enjoyed so much on 26th June.That was something special,like Bob Paul was so special to so many. Gordon

That is really sad news. Like many others on here i never had the privalige to have met the man but like many others his name and the great company he was part of have been a passion for me for many years.
R I P Bob
Thanks to Ash and his book you had another chance to see the inpact you had upon the world of transport and meet with your friends one more time.

R.I.P Bob Paul I can’t believe it such a vibrant man full of life and love for us drivers and his own family ,God bless you Bob ,

Roger (Rita) Haywood

Like many on here I never actually met Bob Paul. I knew his name, having heard it many times mentioned in many places, always with great respect. And I had a great admiration for him from that. My condolences go to all the family. And to Bob, Rest in peace Sir.
Archie Paice.

It is with great sadness that i have read of the death of Bob Paul. I have all ways had a great respect for him since i done my first load for him in the mid seventies. Allthough i was not a regular driver he all ways remembered me and called me by name any time that he saw me in the yard. God Bless and Rest in Peace Bob. David Jamieson.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

Well done Ash in re-uniting all of his friends before he left us.