THAMES TRADERS

dashman:
Here is a pic of my Dads when it was new,

Thats me in the passenger seat!

note, no indicators on the early models !

In the late 60`s I bought a 1965 ex Holt Lane Transport Trader, it had air over hydraulic brakes,this early one was vacuum .

Hi dashman, What a gem of a picture! I drove a short wheel base like that, only in tanker form, when they had all the swish fibreglass skirting and a reel hose and meter behind a roller shutter on the back. It only had three tank sections, 200/300/500 gallons, as opposed to the long wheelbase one which had an extra 500 gall. It was the only short one on the firm and was refered to as the “flying flea.” I have related this story on another thread, but it was in the bad winter of '62/'63 and we were putting a few hours in due to delivery problems and high fuel demands. I had lost the power to the reel during the day but soldiered on using the handle, then after my last drop, found I had no starter. This was about 8 o’clock at night in Chipping Norton, so I collared a group of lads walking by and asked them to give me a push! They looked at me as if I were mad, but I managed to convince them that it was “do able.” It only took a couple of yards to bump start, and I was on my way, with the lads falling about laughing in disbelief! When I arrived back at the depot in Oxford it was all locked up so I parked on the carpark outside and got off home after another tiring day. Next morning, when I pulled onto the carpark there was just a burnt out shell, and firemen still standing by. Apparently it had been a very active night, but I never did know what had actually caused it! :laughing:
Keep posting the pics. they are great. Cheers, BigG-Unit