Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

Chris Webb:

164480:

Chris Webb:

164480:
i remember back in the late 60’s early 70’s when my father worked for hansons & we lived in royston (barnsley) & as kids we used to see all the (mainly) hansons tippers going past our housing estate,their must have been one going past every couple of minutes going to monkton coking plant.only seems like yesterday,where does time go…?

andy.

I think that coking plant is still going Andy,I used to go in there in the late 60s/early 70s to load benzole from the by-products plant.Hanson was the main haulier in there but there were others like Armitages from Royston and others whose names escape me - having a senior moment :laughing:

Juyt had a google and Monckton C and C has belonged to Hargreaves Group since 2005.I read somewhere that coal goes by rail from Monckton to Maltby pit for blending but not sure if any goes by road.

as far as i know it still goes by road,i did a few loads a couple of times for a tipper firm i used to work for a few years ago.if its the Armitages im thinking of they were based at carlton.

andy.

the ones im on about also had daf’s but they were blue,i don’t remember any Armitage in royston.

andy

the Armitage I’m thinking of were in a brown colour and had some flats in Tinsley Wire Sheffield,ran DAFs IIRC and used to chase about a bit.Maybe there was another Armitage Andy?