25 years on

jimmy2loads:
I thought i would pitch in with a positive note, just incase anyone thinks it is all doom and gloom, i have been an O/D for 4 years now, and am still loving it, but i have been lucky with the work i do, and it has enabled me and my family to live comfotably.

Dont get me wrong, i have struggled, and many times you question your sanity, but the good times have definatley outnumbered the bad times.

Well done
I didn’t really want to cause doom and gloom. In 25 years I’ve been through good times and bad times, consider myself lucky to have worked for some really good companies and some true Gentlemen and Ladies. My Son is 18 and I hardly saw him grow up, my Daughter’s 10 and since I started the wind down 2 years ago have managed to be able to spend some real quality time with her and do a few things I once would only dream of.
I certainly don’t want to put anyone off. Paul (Repton) I know for sure, and many others have a good business plan and their heads screwed on and will make a good living (as I did) I consider myself lucky enough to be in a position that I am able to get out at a time when the job isn’t very good and I have quite frankly lost interest and motivation. As a haulier friend once said I’m suffering from ‘NFI’
This is IMO a good time to get a foot on the ladder if anyone did want to start up as Trucks and Trailers are cheap, but I would say you need a really good war chest and to quote AC/DC the biggest balls of them all.
Sorry for sounding negative, everything’s cyclic. As you get older the bad times seem to last longer than the good times, as winter always seems longer than summer, but just like the seasons the good times will always come again. Just be sure you have your shorts and sunglasses in place to take full advantage.
I will do my best to help and encourage anyone who wants a go, who O believe has a sensible plan and attitude and try to steer those that don’t on a more appropriate course.