Can vosa do you for seat belt?

As a prosecuting authority there would be nothing to stop a VOSA Examiner from reporting the matter for prosecution, in other words you get a free trip to Court, it just costs money to leave.

There is (at present) no fixed penalty from VOSA for ‘driver failing to wear a seatbelt.’

I view the matter as pretty much one of driver choice (along with motorcyclists wearing crash helmets) It is the law but in my eyes if you don’t want to do it that’s fine by me. Don’t expect any sympathy from me if you are involved in an incident and your reluctance to use or wear safety equipment contributed to your injuries. When on the bike I wear full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet; I like my body parts where they were manufactured to be. When I got knocked off a few years ago (car ignoring a stop sign) the kit did its’ job and I walked away. Before I joined my current employer I spent some time working in a haematology department of a local hospital. One Friday afternoon I got to cross-match 25 units of blood for a biker who had been taken out by a car (biker stopped for red light at pedestrian crossing, car driver didn’t see him or the crossing :open_mouth: ) Long and short of it was the guy survived and made a full recovery because he was wearing the right kit.

I actually get more uptight about horse riders who don’t wear hi-viz and riding hats than I do about drivers (and passengers) not wearing seatbelts. My three quarters of a tonne of stupidity is actually very steady in traffic. But I wouldn’t go out without both hat and body protector. I also want to give drivers the maximum chance to spot us and take our presence into consideration. Interestingly my last ride down the A6006 the truck drivers and the bikers were the most considerate (apart from one 8 legger driver and an artic from a small island to the west of us). The car drivers were the ones that appeared to have a real problem with our presence, Audi drivers in particular. OK, not a scientifically selected group, just as I found things.

Back on topic; it’s not currently a fixed penalty, the one listed in the ESP applies to drivers of PSVs where there is inadequate seatbelt provision for passengers.