C Now Passed

Hi and thanks for the posts.

Well I survived the 1st day and so did the instructer and fellow trainee (who takes her test wednesday). She had the 1st couple of hours while I watched intently, gear changes, mirror, mirror, blindspot and oh yes more mirrors.

Then Kevin said it was time for the switchover and asked me if I was ready. At this point my inner confidence went and he quickly spotted my hesitation in saying yes!

Kerry then drove to a nearby Industrial estate where after instructions from Kevin I took off. Thank god I did this as although everything was clear in my head whilst observing there suddenly came into play the unmanly ability to multitask! left mirror, right mirror, blindspot .

Roundabouts are an absolute hoot! approach speed, right gear, oncoming traffic, watch for the blocker, go go go, left mirror right mirror,stay in lane, indicate befor existing up the gears left mirrror, right mirror, dont hit the kerb on entry or exit, it didn’t seems five minutes before my 1st 2 hour stint had passed.We had to open the windows in the cab, I never knew I could produce so much sweat just from sitting in a chair!

Kept mainly to the outer ring road around Ipswich and the bypass.

The truck is a mercedes Actros (converted artic unit apparently 400bhp) gearbox is um, semi automatic? (forgotten the technical name) but push the knob and then you can operate the clutch then or after, for it to go in gear.

Not a bad 1st day, really enjoyed it, but have some serious learning to do on the mirror and blindspot front. Kevin kept reminding all day I wasn’t ignoring him but found it difficult to keep checking them whilst turning the wheel. thats it for now. Cheers