tanker companies

jim d:
Hi lads very new to Trucknet & have been looking through lots of old threads.Was very interested in the chat relating to Townsons Tankers and maybe I can fill some bits in for you Chris Webb & Wheel Nut particularly. I drove for Esso at Dingle terminal in 60/70s before they moved to Mode Wheel.Townsons used to contract to Esso coming in from Oldham doing a local load and taking a load back to their area to deliver going home, it was Black oil normaly. I think Townsons was run by Mrs Townson and son Rodger,the boss mechanic was a chap called Bernie I think.Iam really driving in the mist of time now.When it was decided to up the weight from 24 tons to 32 (i think for a short while it was 30) Esso leased a couple of vehicles from Townsons and I was given the 1st one which was a Guy Invincible this wagon was one of the first to have a ■■■■■■■ engine fitted and as no agents had been appointed we had to go to Blackwood Hodge were the ■■■■■■■ fitter stayed in a caravan to look after any
problems.It had a 4500 gall 3 pot tank which again had a new pumping system,artic tankers as we know were either compressors or cargo pump on the unit and suction pipe,this had rear mounted pump hydraulic operated from the unit i was told it was a sort of proto type fitted by Drum Pump for Rodger any way it would shift 4500 galls in 20 mins all later tankers we got at Esso rear pumps were standard fitted. Townsons yard was at Mumps in Oldham and the wagon was red cab silver tank with Esso sign on back.when most wagons of the day would do 45ish this would skip along at 60 .We used to go to the ship yard at Barrow on nights and one night in Forton services on of Coopers of Wolverhampton drivers they had mainly Guys camelooking for the Esso driver of the Guy to ask what was under the bonnet by todays standards it was small a ■■■■■■■ 180 if I remember rightly & a David Brown gearbox.It was a great wagon to drive but some drivers didnt like the small wheel base which caused it to bounce a bit.After a couple of years Townsons replaced it with an AEC Mandator again we used it on the black oil job .Rodger Townson was a great lad with us at Esso we looked after his gear and he looked after us .Back to old firms what about Cawoods Fodens used to run into Fords AT Halewood with black oil.Hope it might be a bit of info regarding the interest in Townsons. Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim. It was nice to read this, as I felt exactly the same about the man, he was a great boss and I learned an awful lot from him. He was also my mate after work.