an update

I understand exactly how you feel with the walking chemist thing. I’m currently on:

Tramadol (for pain…This is probably what you’ll end up on when codeine ceases to work, it’s the last step before Morphine which I refuse to take just yet.)
Baclofen (for spasticity…That’s an exclusively MS thing, so I doubt you’ll get this one.)
Tolteradine (for nocturia…Ditto)
Gabapentin (for neuropathic pain, and helps the spasticity too.)
Paracetamol (for anything else the above doesn’t mop up… :unamused: :laughing: )
Fluoxetine (for organically produced depression - it’s a “normal” thing in MS, apparently)
Contraceptive Pill ('cos getting pregnant on that lot would be disasterous)
Dermovate (strong steroid cream because my skin keeps going mental as a result of it all)

The Gabapentin/Baclofen/Tramadol are in slowly increasing doses. :unamused:

To be honest, you’ll be amazed how quickly you find that taking your meds just becomes a normal part of your routine that doesn’t seem like a big deal any more. The relief will DEFINATELY make it worthwhile, trust me. It seems bloody ridiculous to start with, but just becomes part of life after a week or two, once you’ve adjusted to the side-effects.

A word about Neuropathic Painkillers. Amitriptyline can make you seriously drowsy, and some people never really adjust. I’m one of those people, so I sodded it off and went for a higher dose of Gabapentin instead. Gabapentin can also make you feel like a walking hangover to start with, but that soon wears off. If it doesn’t, ask about PreGablin, which is a more modern version of the same kind of drug, and which some people cope with better.

The 2 main problems I’ve had with Gabapentin are weight gain (not really a problem for you, you’re a stick insect, and not everyone gets it anyway), and that in combination with the Baclofen it reduces the spasticity so much that it turns out some of it is what’s holding me up, therefore I fall down a lot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , but again, that shouldn’t be an issue for you. The drowsy/dizzy crap wears off for me a fortnight after each dose increase, but if it doesn’t for you, ask about PreGablin.Remember, these drugs are actually anti-epileptics which are also used in neuropathic pain as that is one of their more useful side-effects, so there are plenty of different ones you can try to get the right drug for you. The aim of all this is improved quality of life, after all, so keep that goal in mind - the benefits MUST outweigh the side-effects for the regime to be worthwhile, or it isn’t worth doing. Your Pain Nurse is your best friend in this respect. :wink:

Hope some of that helps… (((HUGS))).