an update

after complaining bout havin some back pain for several yrs now they might have just found out the problem

well still on the sick ( 3 yrs in march ) after an incident in June i was admitted into hospital for an unexpected overnight stay there i did have another ct scan on my head & also a lumber puncture ( not recommended if can be helped ) this was clear to my relief

later in the yr another incident i ended up in hospital again this time a x ray on my back & neck wich reviled that i have 2 prolapsed disc ( L1 & L2 ) also authritius in the neck causing spasm in my left with a great deal of pain

went to see my dr who then sent me to pain management team at the local hospital ( a mix up in appointments i did get to see the dr much later ) this was however to my advantage as was there for 2.5 hrs so there was a lot to take in the hospital have supplied me with a tens machine ( wich is workin fine so far ) now have physio booked for early Jan awaiting a letter for an mri scan on the back & neck to see the extent of the damage they also want to change the drugs i am takin dr appointment made for thur for this

i also have a direct line number for the pain relief nurse which i can use at any time

so here is hopin that 2010 can be a bit better than last yr

this is all due to a bike accident in 1980 which i thought not a lot about due to it being at low speed no one else involved just i mis judged a corner going over the handle bars no i didnt go to hospital at the time which i poss should have done although they are not sure if this is the cause of the rest of my health probs & prob never will but with some luck

I know we’ve had this conversation in person, but I’d just like to send my love and (((HUGS))) here again. At least now you finally know what you’re up against and can start to accept it - which I know has been half the battle. Fingers crossed they get your pain under some sort of control, and that the physio works as well for you as it has for me. DO keep in touch and let us know how you go on. ■■■.

thanks Lucy

just knowin has made a big difference as i have changed a few things just waitin for all the drugs to change & take effect with some luck the physio will help the tens machine has bee great so far & would recommend the use of 1 it has brought back some feelin in my back that i didnt realize i should have ( only had it since mon 21 dec )

well now have the repot form the dr at pain management so had a call from my own gp had a visit today where they prescribed

ibuprofen
codeine phosphate
paracetamol
amitripryline
gabapentin
esitalopram

all to be taken daily

feel like a walkin chemist :laughing:

mri scan booked for jan 31

back at pain management on 2.2

now waiting for the medical brach block injections ( they will inject steroids into my back & neck will have to have somebody with me in the hospital ■■■■■■ me home & stay overnight or they will arrange a stay in hospital for me :frowning: )

Hi sorry to hear your have a bad tme of it but know just how feel. Really hope the nerve block injection works for you. I had to have them done in between ops on my back There rite you will need somone with you because it does smart a bit. I know when i had mine done i could watch on the moniter as the needel goes in and moves round till they hit the rite spot and trust everyone in the local area will no to. I dont want to worry you and you will probs been told all about it but it is worth and they do work and help ease the pain. With 3 prolapsed disks and 2 broken vertabra i have a pretty good understanding of pain. I really hope it all works out for you and you get sorted all the best

captin scarlet:
Hi sorry to hear your have a bad tme of it but know just how feel. Really hope the nerve block injection works for you. I had to have them done in between ops on my back There rite you will need somone with you because it does smart a bit. I know when i had mine done i could watch on the moniter as the needel goes in and moves round till they hit the rite spot and trust everyone in the local area will no to. I dont want to worry you and you will probs been told all about it but it is worth and they do work and help ease the pain. With 3 prolapsed disks and 2 broken vertabra i have a pretty good understanding of pain. I really hope it all works out for you and you get sorted all the best

you now have me very curious about the injections not worried at all havent been told much about them tbh can i ask you how did you feel how does it work how were you in the following days :question: :question: :question:

sorry to ask so many questions but just interested as not met anyone who has had them

I feel for you & your pain & can understand it

i have found the tens machine useful might need to find the money to invest in 1 ( if you are offered or recommended 1 they are worth it ) i now have some felin in my back that i didnt realize i had

Ang, you have an e-mail

I understand exactly how you feel with the walking chemist thing. I’m currently on:

Tramadol (for pain…This is probably what you’ll end up on when codeine ceases to work, it’s the last step before Morphine which I refuse to take just yet.)
Baclofen (for spasticity…That’s an exclusively MS thing, so I doubt you’ll get this one.)
Tolteradine (for nocturia…Ditto)
Gabapentin (for neuropathic pain, and helps the spasticity too.)
Paracetamol (for anything else the above doesn’t mop up… :unamused: :laughing: )
Fluoxetine (for organically produced depression - it’s a “normal” thing in MS, apparently)
Contraceptive Pill ('cos getting pregnant on that lot would be disasterous)
Dermovate (strong steroid cream because my skin keeps going mental as a result of it all)

The Gabapentin/Baclofen/Tramadol are in slowly increasing doses. :unamused:

To be honest, you’ll be amazed how quickly you find that taking your meds just becomes a normal part of your routine that doesn’t seem like a big deal any more. The relief will DEFINATELY make it worthwhile, trust me. It seems bloody ridiculous to start with, but just becomes part of life after a week or two, once you’ve adjusted to the side-effects.

A word about Neuropathic Painkillers. Amitriptyline can make you seriously drowsy, and some people never really adjust. I’m one of those people, so I sodded it off and went for a higher dose of Gabapentin instead. Gabapentin can also make you feel like a walking hangover to start with, but that soon wears off. If it doesn’t, ask about PreGablin, which is a more modern version of the same kind of drug, and which some people cope with better.

The 2 main problems I’ve had with Gabapentin are weight gain (not really a problem for you, you’re a stick insect, and not everyone gets it anyway), and that in combination with the Baclofen it reduces the spasticity so much that it turns out some of it is what’s holding me up, therefore I fall down a lot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , but again, that shouldn’t be an issue for you. The drowsy/dizzy crap wears off for me a fortnight after each dose increase, but if it doesn’t for you, ask about PreGablin.Remember, these drugs are actually anti-epileptics which are also used in neuropathic pain as that is one of their more useful side-effects, so there are plenty of different ones you can try to get the right drug for you. The aim of all this is improved quality of life, after all, so keep that goal in mind - the benefits MUST outweigh the side-effects for the regime to be worthwhile, or it isn’t worth doing. Your Pain Nurse is your best friend in this respect. :wink:

Hope some of that helps… (((HUGS))).

thanks Lucy for that as it was of some use the Gabapentin i take 1x300 in mor for a few days then 1 in mor & 1 at night as for the Amitriptyline ( 10 mg ) at night been on that for about 3 mth now and is workin fine for now as i said i was a driver they didnt want to increase the dosage of it sorry but i dont need the pill :laughing: :laughing:

have to back to my gp next week to see how the tablets are workin so will have to see & monitor them

atm have a small box which each night i put the next days pills in so i know which i have taken

Good plan. I count to 4 in the morning and 8 at night, working left to right through my drugs bag. Seems to keep me right. :wink:

Hi for a start mate dont go buy a tenns machine i have a mini tenns of my own thats never used so if if you want just let me no and i sort out and post.
The injections are done under a ct scan so they can see just where the needle is and where they want it. It is a very strange feeling and not painfull But they do have to move the needle about till they find the nerves that are causing the probs and when they find it you will know about it because the pain is extreme to say the least. Its all over very quickly and you will feel like ■■■■ for a day or so but is hardly suprising considering you have just had a needle stuck into the bunch of nerves that are causing all the probs. I canrt say its some mirical cure that will solve all your probs and there is no set amount of time it will last for but it is worth it. Im sure your like me and the thought of a few weeks with no or greatly reduced pain will be beond your wildest. I really hope it works out for you because i know how much all this can take out of you and your family. If you want give me a call 07528730741 and we can sort out how to get the tenns machine to you and dont worry i dont want anything for it and if it can help you thats all that matters. Anyway if this aint put you to sleep yet all the best.

many thanks for all the info captin scarlet number noted thanks will call in few days :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Stu have replied via f/b as was easier :wink:

went back to the hospital on tues although they didnt have my MRI scan results back :frowning: but will chase them up they decided to up my drugs slowly although they are pleased with the way thing are goin at the moment :smiley: :smiley:

have the dated for my injections for June / July

back at the hospital at the end of march

received MRI scan results which shows wear & tear of the small joints in the neck and an old fracture was noticed in the lumbar levels

well went for the 1st round of injections yesterday & tbh they wernt as bad as i thought all went well

as they started with my neck 1st was 4 in the top of the back these were the trigger points then i had to lie flat on my back keepin still while the dr worked with an xray machine so she could get the right place then had 4 injections i the neck only felt it slightly ( maybe i have a high pain barrier ) every thin was fine blood pressure pulse ect

then had to stay lyin flat for approx 30 min the nurse monitored me throw out then made sure i could move all my limbs then sat up for approx 30 min they did bring me toast & coffee as had nothin to eat or drink from 10 am as instructed i did manage to get dressed no problems

arranged for my son g/friend to pick me up as had to have some 1 there or had to stay in hospital but that was not a prob she came & they both stayed with me although i felt ok was careful not to lift anything to heavy or do tho much

did get a good night sleep was a little stiff when woke but that can be expected

although i feel ok will still be takin it easy for next few days

Hope they have the desired effect, Hun. (((HUGS))) :wink:

Animal all the best mate, one small point
make sure the doctor checks the kidneys
regular mate as IBUPROFEN is not
nice to kidneys and you need to do check
ups regular every month,

brit pete:
Animal all the best mate, one small point
make sure the doctor checks the kidneys
regular mate as IBUPROFEN is not
nice to kidneys and you need to do check
ups regular every month,

yep i know have been to dr & pain management for regular check ups

well round 2 was on thur left work went to hosp for 13.00 had to change into 1 of there "nice flattering :unamused: " gowns waited a short while the dr came round had 4 injections across the shoulders hardly felt them goin in

was fine rest of day could move woke up on fri was a bit stiff thought it would easy when i started movin did a little was tender all day

by the sat i was fine again no pain & it could move much easier a lot less pain

so far so good next round in early aug then back in dec

animal:
… by the sat i was fine again no pain & it could move much easier a lot less pain …

so far so good next round in early aug then back in dec

That’s great news, I’ve got my fingers (and all other crossable things) crossed for you. :smiley:

Good luck for Aug and Dec!! :smiley:

really good news ang, i know via pm’s the trouble you have had and im glad you are finally getting somewhere. :wink: :wink: